1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Post-Gazette. Next in line.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Notepad, Sep 21, 2008.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I have to agree. Not really a great writer and he's a lot more abrasive than he needs to be, but he is good at developing sources and breaking stories. Given his path to getting into the business, he has done pretty well for himself.

2. Where is Chico Harlan?
    I thought he was doing long-range features for the P-G. Has he moved on?
    I really enjoyed his stuff.

3. pantherprowl

pantherprowl Guest

He's at the Washington Post as the Nats beat writer.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Chico Harlan's at the Washington Post. I don't know how that necessarily translates to the P-G "letting him go." Seems like a natural upward move for an outstanding writer.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I believe Chico also had one of those long-term (like 2 or 3 years long) internships. I'm not sure he was ever a permanent employee.

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

He wasn't. He was a two-year associate that was good enough to get the Penn State football beat one year, which may have been the cause for the confusion.

7. he wasn't a permanent employee, ms. chick, but when you have a talented fellow like that in house, especially one who turned out some fine stuff on the penn state beat (very hard for a rookie to do), you don't just let him walk out the door.

i was rebutting panther's point that somehow this is a new phenomenon, veterans holding young guys back. it's always happened.

8. pantherprowl

pantherprowl Guest

Just heard from a couple people that the buyout offers were actually pretty good this time ...

9. pantherprowl

pantherprowl Guest

P-G had a meeting last night with all the people eligible for buyouts. They have been given a December 5 deadline. Everyone at the P-G will know by December 12 whether or not they can keep their jobs.

As my friend put it, just in time for the holidays.

10. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Not what I heard.
    I heard they were dismal, and even those in the retirement ballpark and rushing in. I mean out.

11. JerryMicco

JerryMicco Member

Just to clarify a point on Chico Harlan. Chico was a permanent employee at the P-G for a year after his two-year internship was completed. He moved to news as a GA reporter, at his request, to broaden his writing field. He then went to Australia to freelance for a while, then the Post came calling. He was in a couple weeks ago to visit. It was good seeing him again. He was hired by David Shribman right after I was offered the job here in Dec. 2004. I enjoyed the hell out of working with Chico. He's a talented guy and a good person.

12. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

In this case, it would seem that Chico is, indeed, the man.

Draft saved Draft deleted