1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Post-Gazette. Next in line.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Notepad, Sep 21, 2008.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Here's my point.

The job-hardened nature of some older journalists is, in many ways, evened out by the irrational idealism of some younger ones. Many times, you're better off having somebody who recognizes that bump in the road when he/she sees it. Not complain about the bump being there, but deal with it like you've been doing it half your life.

There's a lot to be said for having people who know you don't win EVERY battle, and you have to pick the ones you really NEED to win. That's where experience comes in, and it can't be underestimated.

2. i'm a young guy.

i'd rather be the one young guy working in a newsroom of 20 vets. in fact, my happiest times in the biz were spent in such a situation, where i was the youngest guy around.

younger newsrooms tend to lend themselves to more instability, more turnover. veterans help settle us young turks down.

they can make $300,000 for all i care, i want those vets around.

3. pantherprowl

pantherprowl Guest

Of course not. And I certainly would never try to argue that. Experience does matter. All I'm saying is that there are certain characters -- and every sports department has them -- who probably would've been fired years ago had the union not existed, and those folks will keep their jobs while newer employees won't. That's not necessarily fair.

EDIT: And if you look at the P-G, they have two great young talents there -- Colin Dunlap and Daniel Molloy -- who could get the ax depending on how far the layoffs go. And those are two talented kids. (I used to work in the city.)

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Yes. I'm not going to go so far as to argue that.

5. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

you can't even blame that on unions, though. There are a lot of chickenshit SE's out there who keep people around simply because they're afraid of confrontation. Sadly, that's the nature of any biz.

6. pantherprowl

pantherprowl Guest

That's true. Very true.

7. Notepad

Notepad Member

Axelrod? That is the guy who cover small colleges, right?
    A total joke.

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Lots of stuff ain't fair. It isn't fair in my view that some old (and now dead) mangy bastards snapped up all the oceanfront property in my favorite coastal city -- back when things were affordable, too -- and now I've got no chance to ever own a swell beach home with a great view. But their idiot great-grandkids sure can.

Getting in while the getting is good is the American way. The oldsters got there first and the jobs with the meritless, union security are no longer available to the younger and harder working kids.

So what? Learn a life lesson and move on. If they leave this business, so be it. Plenty of good people of all ages and experience are leaving, so we'll toast them en masse.

9. pantherprowl

pantherprowl Guest

Just heard today that David Shribman, executive editor, has told the staff that he will be "reorganizing" the entire way the paper operates.

Not sure if that is meant to scare people into buyouts or what.

10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Colin Dunlap? Seriously? Kid blows a lot of hot air, but other than that he's got nothing going for him.

11. pantherprowl

pantherprowl Guest

Not a big fan of his personality, but I think he's a good reporter.

12. the p-g has a history of letting good, younger reporters go. hello, chico harlan, and once upon a time, lori schontz. let's not act that all of the sudden, vets are holding kids back.

Draft saved Draft deleted