1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Post Gazette beat guy in hot water

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Notepad, Jul 31, 2007.

1. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

;)

2. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Terrible, ignorant comment and a terrible, thoughtless comparison.

Ask Mike Tyson if a conviction for rape somehow softens the public outcry, or eases an athlete's passage through the newspaper columns and radio talk shows.

It also ignores the fact that Vick's indictment is the last straw in a long line of public screw-ups, so that some of the current outpouring of resentment is an expression on the part of fans and the press of cumulative frustration. Had this indictment come out of nowhere, and had Vick no history of public upfucking, the response might have been more proportional.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Weren't the legal issues with Lewis dealt with before the following season? That makes a difference.

Don't get me started on Leonard Little. That whole thing still disgusts me. Not only did he kill a woman, leaving a fairly young son without his mother...he then got busted on a DUI a few years later and didn't serve a single damn day in jail. How do you not end up in jail for DUI when you've actually killed someone driving drunk in the past?

But here's the problem. There are far too many people that have gotten behind the wheel when they were under the influence of alcohol and they often have a hard time being too outraged even by somebody like Little because that easily could have been them. I did it once. Wasn't drunk, but no way I would've passed a breathalyzer. Realized as I was driving that I shouldn't have and never did it again. But that one time....

I think it is safe to say that there are far fewer people that have "trained" a dog to kill by torturing it, tossed them in the ring to fight with other dogs and then found horrific ways to dispose of the "losers" that weren't actually killed in the fight. That makes it easier to see Vick, if he is guilty, as the scumbag he is.

I still think Paul screwed up here. His point wasn't wrong, but he shouldn't have said it. I just don't think he will lose his job over it.

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Great point.

And it certainly hasn't helped #7 that a) he's got all sorts of hard evidence against him sitting on his property in the dog pens, equipment, etc. and b) he's never once publicly proclaimed his innocence (which is a little harder to do considering a).

If you want to contrast Kobe, for example, Bryant came out and said he was innocent, and the evidence visible to the public at large was really a he said/she said scenario. So, the public will probably grant a little more wiggle room to the accused in that case as there is less clarity about what did or did not happen.

If he's not going to outright deny any wrongdoing, and you've got all the physical evidence on the property that clearly says dogfighting took place there, well, that doesn't leave much gray area for John Q to formulate his opinion.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

So we have another word up there with the N-word and the C-word ... the R-word.

Let's just set aside that the man made a valid point ... I guess you just can't SAY the R-word in PC company without going down.

And I mean "going down" in a professional sense.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Shot, I'm a pretty hard guy to offend and knowing Paul fairly well, I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt. But he was still out of line on this one.

7. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I'm not saying don't use it. I'm saying think seriously before you use it.

As for the other two words, can you give me an example (other than directly quoting someone else who's probably in hot water for saying it) when they might be used on a sports radio show on the open airwaves?

8. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

When I read the title of this thread, I was thinking the Pittsburgh newspaper beat the hell out of some guy in hot water. :p

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Now that'd be one hell of a story.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Ha! Thank you! I started reading this thread thinking, 'Is that the guy?' Wrecked redswriter's marriage thread by arguing that all women are basically prostitutes who only marry or have sex for material gain. Webby had to shut down the board for an hour to mop up the mess.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

It was that guy.

Damn.

12. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

I consider Paul a friend, and he does his job well for the Post-Gazette. It's an inappropriate and unfortunate comment, and I imagine the paper will keep him from getting into a position to make the same mistake again. I hope that's the extent of this.

Whoever made the argument that columnists should make these appearances and not beat writers, I'd like to see a columnist who could make the same statement, verbatim, and not face the same problems Zeise now has.

Draft saved Draft deleted