1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Post Gazette beat guy in hot water

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Notepad, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

So Lamar Thomas is fired for his "insensitive" comments [see below] and yet all the Post-Gazette has done so far is apologize for Zeise? Um, where's the logic?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2628184
    "Now, that's what I'm talking about," Thomas said as the brawl raged out of control. "You come into our house, you should get your behind kicked. You don't come into the OB playing that stuff. You're across the ocean over there. You're across the city. You can't come over to our place talking noise like that. You'll get your butt beat. I was about to go down the elevator to get in that thing."

2. That's a good point and mutes his argument somewhat, but I still don't see what he said as being worth the censure.

I wish we were more niggardly with our politically incorrect outrage. :)

3. Maybe I'm just sleepy, but the part in bold seems to me to indicate that what he's saying, while not eloquently stated, is the opposite of misogynist? That the way it's played out so far, in his opinion, Vick has been vilified more than Kobe was even by those who thought Kobe was guilty of rape? Aren't we completely forgetting the "It's a really sad day" part as soon as we get to the "better off raping a woman" part?

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's an ignorant remark all around. You get convicted of rape, you're gone for more than four. And I don't see how its a sad day when there is outrage over an alleged crime. The Duke lacrosse team got a healthy dose of outrage over an alleged crime as well and it cost them their season.

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Why do people go on these shows? I know the ESPN scream-off pays well, but what can you make doing a local show? Seems like it's all risk, little potential reward.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

He's right, though.

Less of an issue if he had raped a woman.

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

No.

It makes the point as bluntly as it needs to be made.

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

It's called the PC police. I don't condone rape or violence in any way, shape or form either, but there are people out there just waiting to call or e-mail their paper or TV station claiming they were "offended" at what they saw.

Goddamn tools. That's what they are.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Maybe they are hoping to recreate the magic of Jauss, Bentley and Telander? You do need the proper mix of people for the show like that to work.

About the thread of the comparing of these two crimes...

Look at the punishment for the two. The severity of the sentences will show you how people view these two crimes.

The main difference of why this is such a hot topic is that we actually have video clips of the house, of dogs fighting and of the instruments used in the training of these dogs. You really do not have that in a sexual assault case. You normally have nothing more than mug shots of the victim and the defendant and maybe a perp walk or two.

Never underestimate the power of a video clip on the newscast. It is 100 times more powerful that any story written or any words spoken.

10. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

He didn't phrase it well, but he does have a good point. If Vick had been accused of rape, would he have been told not to show up for training camp? Obviously, Bryant was able to play while still standing accused or rape, but Goodell's NFL is handling off-the-field issues a little differently of late. Thank goodness, I can't think of an NFL player who has been charged with rape lately to offer a proper comparison.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Now I'm really sorry I missed it when Paul came on here. I'll have to drop him an email and see if we can get him back. :)

Paul's a good guy, but I can't say I'm surprised to see his mouth get him in trouble. As far as his views about women... well, let's let what he posted here stand.

My gut reaction was that his job might be in danger, but the more I think about it the more I doubt that he would be fired. The P-G is a union shop and it is very hard to get fired from there. Unless there have been other issues, I doubt this will get it done.

Also, as offensive as his statement is...he's probably not wrong. Not that I would ever say something like that because it is damn offensive to women, particularly any woman who has been raped or sexually assaulted.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The guy was correct but said it poorly. Which is why writers have editors, I suppose.

Draft saved Draft deleted