1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Post-game interviews

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by randomhero423, Feb 16, 2009.

1. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

The standard procedure at NFL games, at least the ones I've covered, seems to be transcribing.

I remember once I was at an NFL game writing a sider. I just used my notes, and I filed about 45 minutes after sitting down in the press box. It was only 15 inches or something. All the football writers looked at me and I think someone said: "What, did you just mail that in?" I said, "Fellas, I'm a baseball writer. It ain't that hard." And I walked out.

2. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

This throws me, too. I usually hold a recorder between my forefinger and middle finger while holding a reporter's notebook in my palm, so I usually just stop writing in the notebook and start looking them in the eye.

For some reason, this really bothers me. It also drives me absolutely crazy when someone is looking at my computer screen while I'm writing. I can't do it.

3. micke77

micke77 Member

I have just found that, when I have my notes written down and ready to peruse after interview or game is over, I'm ready to open that vein and start writing. I even do it at media luncheons such as the one I just got back from. There's no tight deadline, but I've already knocked out that story because I had notes organized and ready to decipher. And as i mentioned earlier, I use different color pens and also a highlighter (to designate the speaker or whomever I interviewed) to make deciphering such notes easier and quicker.

4. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

My concern Micke is that if you are covering something that are other publications are covering, and if a coach or player says anything really good, you are all going to be using the quote and you have to get it EXACTLY right. I commend you if you are confident enough in your scribbles to get it exactly right, but it scares me. So listening to the tape is usually a must over here.

5. micke77

micke77 Member

Frederick...a good question, but honestly, I feel pretty dang good about getting it right. i don't wanna say I've got the "photographic memory" gene, but I have always seemed to get quotes right on...i've had players and coaches tell me they couldn't believe i quoted them right after they had seen me write it down in my chicken-scratching.

6. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

I could be wrong on this, but as I understand it, a "photographic memory" would do little to help you remember quotes. A "photographic memory" does not mean a "really good memory." It means that the brain remembers things the way cameras do, in detailed, visual snapshots.

That's what I've always assumed, at least.

7. Babs

Babs Member

Right, a sonographic memory would seem to be of more use here.

8. micke77

micke77 Member

then i need to work on my "sonographic" memory. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted