1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Post-Dispatch SE (big surprise, right?)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Riddick, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

More than a few people seem to have a problem with Bill Cosby in recent years. ;)

2. LincolnLogs

LincolnLogs New Member

Good guy, interesting move.
    Maybe this will boost an underachieving P-D and give those APSE bullies at the KC Star a run for their money.
    Prediction: Bad economy and nice cost of living shift talent to the Midwest in the next few years.

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Will this Midwest talent shift happen more quickly than the talent exodus from daily journalism, spurred by low wages and lack of job security?

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

there's still talent remaining on the coasts?

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Some, Tom. Some.

But there's a real Breakdown, and it's as if the combination of wages and hours, and uncertainty, and telling a lot of the talent, "don't come around here no more."

Then they all have to live as refugees.

Or some such. hell, I got nothing. I should be working.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

excuse me while i go wipe my brow.

7. wind

wind New Member

Sent: Wednesday, April 23, 2008 12:27 PM
    To: STL-PD Newsroom
    Subject: sports editor news

We are delighted to announce that Reid Laymance is our new Assistant Managing Editor for Sports.
    Reid comes to us from the Boston Globe, where he is the senior assistant sports editor. Boston is a legendary sports town and for many years the Globe has published one of the finest sports sections around.

"St. Louis is one of the great sports towns and I look forward to helping the Post-Dispatch cover those stories in an enterprising way across all mediums," Reid says.
    As the No. 2 editor of the Globe section, Reid is responsible for its daily content, special projects, stories for 1A, planning and coordination of big events coverage and handling the department's travel budget.

Prior to joining the Globe in 2000, Reid was executive sports editor of the San Jose Mercury News, at a time when that newspaper was aggressively covering multiple professional sports and Division 1 college teams in the Bay Area.

Reid also has worked as deputy sports editor at the Houston Chronicle, Sunday sports editor and high school sports editor at The Dallas Morning News. In the late 1980s, he worked at The National Sports Daily -- that bold experiment that lured many of the nation's finest sports journalists – as assistant managing editor in charge of the copy desk and night operations.
    Reid is a journalism graduate of the University of Texas in Austin. He and his wife, Brenda, have two sons: Rane graduates next month from the University of Texas; Austin is a junior in high school. Brenda is a public affairs assistant at Suffolk University.

We had many strong candidates for this position. Reid stood out because of his vision, experience and leadership in building strong sports sections and innovative online coverage. He is passionate about taking our sports coverage to the next level, and we know everyone on our team is ready and eager to join him in that effort.

Reid will join us in mid-May, and we know you will join us in giving him a warm welcome. Those of you wishing to contact him in advance can email him at: xxxxxxxx.com.

Pam and Arnie

8. jimmydangles

jimmydangles Member

Reid gave me my big break. Excellent guy. Smart and patient, easy to talk to and always has time for everyone though he does a million things. He'll be missed in Boston.

9. He's a top of the line choice with the perfect demeanor in the changing market to make the people who work for him comfortable with the environment and anxious to meet his desires. It is also a good sign when people like RL get their opportunities because they have worked hard for the chance to earn them, instead of spending their time self-promoting and angling for positions.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I can't imagine how good that desk staff in Dallas was in the early 1990s.

Draft saved Draft deleted