1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Post-Dispatch SE (big surprise, right?)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Riddick, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Company: St. Louis Post-Dispatch
    Position: Seeking Assistant Managing Editor/Sports
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires: December 11, 2007
    Job ID: 850114

Description:
    We are seeking a strong, innovative editor to lead our sports department. We're looking for someone who is comfortable leading change and who can develop and carry out a print and online strategy that will make our sports coverage and section among the best in the country. St. Louis is an avid sports town -- from high school football to college basketball to the NHL, NFL and MLB -- and this position is rich with opportunity. We are looking for an experienced, strong leader and accomplished manager, who knows how to use human and monetary resources wisely, and has proven himself or herself in challenging situations. Other traits that are important: decisiveness; organizational skills; the ability to stay focused, creative, collaborative. Additionally this editor must be a strong communicator and a skilled editor who knows that the most important "editing" occurs in those initial conversations reporters and editors have when exploring story ideas.

We want an editor who will help reporters and their editors sharpen ideas, build our online audience, improve our writing and become more creative and adept at alternative ways to tell or present stories. Our sports staff has made significant strides in the past year in developing popular and unique online journalism -- including live chats and blogs. The next sports editor is expected to continue this integration of print-online reporting and help take us to another level. He or she will be a member of our newsroom leadership team.

Applicants should send a resume, letter explaining why you would be a good candidate for this position and no more than six samples of work in which you are most proud, to Irv Harrell, our director of recruiting at 900 North Tucker Blvd., St. Louis, Mo. 63101.

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=850114

Hard to believe they advertised this one on jj.com

2. LATimesman

LATimesman Member

Anyone know what is going on w/this job? I wonder if Larry Starks already has headed to Bristol.

3. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

yup! Think he started a week or two ago.

4. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

so what's the word on the P-D gig?

5. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

They haven't even pared down all the resumes yet.

6. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

you're hired!

7. LATimesman

LATimesman Member

I heard there is at least one good candidate in-house; maybe two.

8. Fisch

Fisch Member

From what I've been told, there are three in-house candidates, all would be great in the spot.

But the buzz out of the place is they're going to fill it from outside.

9. LATimesman

LATimesman Member

That's surprising, especially these days with the emphasis on cutting costs.
    From what I've seen of the section, it's good, not great. I like the columnists----very solid. I'm not sure what Larry's strengths were; maybe they want to shake it up.

10. MU_was_not_so_hard

Don't be surprised if they do.

11. LATimesman

LATimesman Member

MU, do you have the scoop? I have a friend interested in the job. Not sure if he has done more than send in a resume, however.

12. MU_was_not_so_hard

I know nothing other than a personal hunch. That paper has some pretty good people, but overall, that section isn't looked at as highly as others its size.

Draft saved Draft deleted