1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Post-career opportunities

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by DanOregon, Jun 16, 2007.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

With so many journalists being laid off, taking buyouts or leaving the field of their own choosing, I was wondering if there were any organizations, industries or what not (outside of the obvious PR) that are seeking out people leaving journalism. I was thinking about jobs for vets groups seeking out those leaving the military and wondered if there was anything similar in this field.

2. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

It's called the food-service industry. Mention your APSE awards and they'll probably start you out 50 cents an hour higher than that 16-year-old who's an effing stud with the fries.

3. chazp

chazp Active Member

That was LOL and brutal at the same time. Well played.

4. printdust

printdust New Member

And our powers that be know this.

We got a letter from our Big Cheese talking about the anticipated demise of the newspaper industry. Don't buy it. Don't listen to it, it says. People who purchase newspaper companies understand this. It's a bargain buy.

Yes, it is. When you can buy medium, gut the paper of its expenses then sell at the same margin, you make a profit. It doesn't take the rich and powerful to understand what a third-grader can figure out.

5. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

nicely played.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

More sky-is-falling theory from Big Cheese. Nothing like a few greedy executives to trigger a freaking avalanche which is costing quality people jobs ... and making our products slide downhill in a hurry ...

7. printdust

printdust New Member

Actually, Big Cheese was telling us not to buy the talk BECAUSE folk like him know buying newspapers are a bargain. Sorry if I didn't clarify.

8. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i went to law school but law school didn't seek me out, that's for damn sure.

dan, if you're sitting around waiting for an industry to seek out former reporters you'll be waiting a long, long time. not that former journos don't have good skills. they do. but no one will be approaching you along the lines of how people might seek out military vets. it's an apples to oranges comparison. it's up to you to find something.

Draft saved Draft deleted