1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Post a Song you are listening to now...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Tommy_Dreamer, Apr 5, 2007.

1. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Cripple Creek. I was fortunate to see what was left of The Band in March 1986, two weeks after Richard Manuel died. Garth Hudson was amazing.

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Started listening to a lot of MJ - always enjoyed his lesser known songs - I can't stop loving you, PYT, Human Nature...the excess of some of those songs he did from the '80s. No we can't just have McCauley Culkin in the Black and White video, lets throw in Norm from Cheers and a young Tyra Banks - and even a cameo from director John Landis and one of the girls from Head of the Class.
    Made me realize, all musicians sold out in the '80s, whether it was videos, or their song choices or their styling or their sound - being on "a break" during the '80s was the best career move the Eagles ever made.

3. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

So much so that MTV banned this video for a spell.

4. DanOregon

I'm sure it's always been this way to some extent, but the '80s seemed to be the pinnacle of the "he/she/the are HOT right now, let's cast them" philosophy of Maximum Excess that led to some very poor results in hindsight. Robin Williams as Popeye? Tom Hanks in Bonfire of the Vanities? Kevin Costner as Robin Hood?

maumann likes this.
  5. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

This was the CBS Daytona 500 lineup intro theme for many years.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Dave Grusin was more than a little versatile. Listen the theme from "St. Elsewhere" and the music he composed for films like "On Golden Pond," "The Graduate," and "The Firm."

Honestly, I'd still take John Williams any day ending with a "y," but if you seek a more modern flavor for your film or series soundtrack, Grusin is a solid pick.

7. DanOregon

Really liked his work on Tootsie and Fabulous Baker Boys. And The Firm.

8. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Shelby Lynne's Suit Yourself. It's so good it's ridiculous.

I hope this links the playlist. If not, here's a link: Shelby Lynne|Suit Yourself

This is why I still have and listen to CDs. I am old and this is a pain in my antique tuchis.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  9. DanOregon

As ridiculous as Hammer was at the time - there was a lot more heart in his music than people gave him credit for.

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

One of his best songs that flies under the radar.

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

From Fleetwood Mac's Maine Road, Manchester show on Aug. 25, 1990.

Specifically, their take on the Stevie Nicks solo hit "Stand Back" from that show.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted