1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Post a Song you are listening to now...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Tommy_Dreamer, Apr 5, 2007.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Probably doesn't need to be explained how fortunate Huey Lewis and the News were in terms of timing of their career. Shoot, if they "hit" 10 months sooner or 10 months later I'm not sure they sing on We Are The World or get the Back to the Future gig/Oscar appearance. They peaked at a perfect moment. That said, they also had been around long enough to handle the sudden success and milked it for everything they could. Also needs to be said, they could play and put on a lively show.

2. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

This came on the radio early this morning. So upbeat.

She's got some Bonnie Raitt in that voice.

maumann likes this.
  6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

7. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

8. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

9. Neutral Corner

Here's the old Commander with the boogie woogie called "Beat Me Daddy, Eight to the Bar".

The little girl with the braids is Nicolette Larsen.

Same show. Nicolette. RIP.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
  10. Neutral Corner

It's easy to make a throwaway cut at these guys as middlebrow rock, but forty years later this is still great stuff. Tight band, great arrangement, jazz elements, a sweet listen. Jim Messina's guitar isn't flashy, but he's dead on with sweet fills and the whole thing is just rock solid.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

12. Neutral Corner

I saw Billy Preston live in 1973. "Will it go Round in Circles" and "Outaspace" were both out. He put on an absolutely amazing show, just frenetically active, dancing, singing, playing, jumping and jiving nonstop. It was the first time I ever witnessed someone play a show while absolutely coked out of his mind.

It was one helluva show, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted