1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Post a Song you are listening to now...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Tommy_Dreamer, Apr 5, 2007.

1. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Another from my vinyl collection. The Don Ellis Orchestra live at Fillmore in 1970. The cut is "Final Analysis." There is some junk in it, but it showcases their incredible musicianship. The trumpet fill starting at 12:28 is unbelievable.

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

3. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

4. Neutral Corner

5. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

6. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

We all shine on...

7. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

After 20 years, you'd like to think Pepper has been promoted to Master Sergeant by now.

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I love the commercial at the beginning of that video: "For the first time, hear their music the way it was meant to be heard -- live!"

Seriously, is there a band that's less true of than Steely Dan? They were famously obsessive about the studio recordings being note-perfect. They were a nightmare for studio musicians. Playing it live was pretty much an afterthought for them.

OscarMadison and ChrisLong like this.
  9. Neutral Corner

Agree. They rarely toured. Live wasn't a real priority for them, at least until you couldn't make money on albums any more.

That said, I brought that video here precisely because seeing them play live was so rare.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

So after seeing American Utopia on Broadway, I've been rerunning my Stop Making Sense video. What a great concert by a great band.

11. Neutral Corner

That's a fabulous concert movie, one of the short list.

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

On that tour they played the Long Beach Arena, then played two shows at the Pantages to shoot the film. I was at the Long Beach show. It was every bit as great in-person.

Draft saved Draft deleted