1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Possibly worst call from a coach

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Caller: Do you have the score of the Podunk/BFE game yet?

Me: No, we haven't. Are you the coach calling in?

Caller: No, I just wanted to know who won. Can you call me later on with the score?

Me: No. We are having 50 results called into us tonight and we cannot call each individual fan with the scores. We'll post them on our web site later on.

Caller: But I don't have a computer. Why can't you call the coach right now?

Me: Because it's not a high priority. We have an entire section to put out tonight.

Caller: But why isn't it a priority? You know, the kids really work hard and deserve the coverage.

Me: Click.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If he had the 3-1 score right, that's not the worst call by a coach. Not even in the discussion.

3. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

Not worst, but memorable:

During football season. "This is coach Xxxx from Podunk. We lost 65-0. Our leading tacklers were..." I wish I had not audibly choked when he went from losing 65-0 to telling me his defensive leaders.

Very recently during baseball season: "This is coach Xxx from City High. We beat Mispronounced Egyptian City 15-14. Our winning pitcher was ..."

My favorites are the ones where the coach IDs himself, but not the school. "This is coach Xxxx, we won 10-8 over City School."

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

gotta love the awkward "i don't know you" pause.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I had this happen at a previous job every night.
    Sometimes more than once.

I especially love the coaches that don't know their players names. I know all my teammates names from 9th grade freshman basketball.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Another thing: Do you guys really try to run stats from volleyball games? I can see asking for some leaders or something to write up an item, but what are the chances that the digs, spikes, blocks, etc. are anything close to realistic?

7. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

About the same as two baseball coaches having the exact amount of hits and errors for both teams.

With vollyball we run 1 or 2 leaders for each team.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

wow ace. i do believe joe just threw down. :D

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Shaddup. I'm keying his car.

10. Brak

Brak New Member

Being a long-time prep call sufferer, I just had to weigh in on this topic.

One of my favorites is:

Me: "Hello!"

Caller: "I...uh...wanna report a score?"

Me: "Okay. What was it."

Caller: "Uh....52 to 49"

Me: "*sigh* In what sport?"

Caller: "Boys basketball"

Me: "What teams?"

Caller: "Oh uh.... Crumb Clutcher High and Grab Ass Magnet School"

Me: "*sigh* Who was the winner."

Caller: "Uh...can I call you back?"

Me: "You just wasted five minutes of my life and I want them back!... Oh what the hell, I'd probably just waste them anyway."

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

What if I told you he could have gotten you in at The Plain Dealer?

Not that he would. Or not that I'd say it. But still. It'd suck if you keyed away your chance at working there, wouldn't it?

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Dammit. OK. I'll get some rubbing compound.

Draft saved Draft deleted