1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Possibly the saddest, funniest story you'll ever read about hillbilly America

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double Down, Nov 22, 2008.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Hell all that's missing from this story is Sarah Palin standing in the foreground.

2. lono

lono Active Member

Re: Possibly the saddest, funniest story you'll ever read about hillbilly Americ

Wow.

Three pages and the phrase "cousin-fuckin'" hasn't appeared yet.

I admire the restraint. :D

3. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Re: Possibly the saddest, funniest story you'll ever read about hillbilly Americ

I'm so proud of my state sometimes.

Actually Nicholas County isn't in the mountains, so it's not Hillbilly America. White trash redneck America, most definitely. But at least get your insults and stereotypes geographically correct.

Now, I don't have much sympathy for the women. The sheriff had little else to do, U.S. 68 is a very busy road (I know, for all the horse and buggies and moonshine runners to use). He had to get it open, especially after all that time.

Good job by the H-L to mix the comic and tragic.

Here's an update. Evidently everyone is tired of the media attention, surprise.

http://www.kentucky.com/181/story/602753.html

Of course, this still isn't as funny as the pic the Courier had several years back of a truck full of piglets that overturned and people were running all over the interstate trying to get them.

4. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

"Cousin-fuckin"? Yikes. Though, I will add this: About a dozen years ago, when I started work at a paper in Northern Kentucky, I had the thankless task of entering marriage licenses into our system for a community-agate thing we called "Town Crier." Marriages, cop calls, property transfers, births -- that sort of thing. Now, I saw marriage license documents from Ohio, Indiana and Kentucky. Only Kentucky's asked if the petitioners were related. Not kidding.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

I wonder if they ask that in England, where the reigning queen is married to a man who is her second cousin once removed through one family branch, and her third cousin through another branch.

6. jello042

jello042 New Member

Hillbillies are the staple of America and what our coutry was originally founded upon.

7. joe

joe Active Member

If they ain't barefoot, they ain't hillbillies.

8. lono

lono Active Member

What's "our coutry?"

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

My usually rapier-sharp geography skillz let me down. I thought Nicholas County was where Nicholasville, due south of Lexington on U.S. 68, was located. Turns out it is northeast of Lexington. I've driven U.S. 68 south of Lexington and its quite hilly, can't vouch for northeast of the city.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

DAMMIT! Nicholasville is due South on 27. If you take 68, you'll get Jessamine County but not Nicholasville.

[/JessamineCountyHighClassof'94]

EDIT: though if you take 68 South, you go past the God-Dome (Southland Christian, the church I attended off and on after college, huge) and then if you take a left at the Vet's office onto 29, it will take you past my old HS. It's now West Jessamine, but it's there nonetheless. And the athletic teams still blow. You can also go past the dark brown wooden fence on the right side of the road right before a sharp turn where a classmate had a terrible accident, had a piece of that fence go through her head and leave her brain-damaged.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Kentucky geography for $200 to have my home moved by a guy named Pancake, Alex.

12. Paper Dragon

Paper Dragon Member

Great fucking story; great fucking thread.

It's weird because I don't know her, but I'm almost proud of the reporter for not writing it straight.

Draft saved Draft deleted