1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Possibly the saddest, funniest story you'll ever read about hillbilly America

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double Down, Nov 22, 2008.

1. Inches from actual sincerity.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

You're right. 9-and-a-half.

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Agree with everyone who said the reporter handled that well. Sometimes all you have to do with a story is tell what happened, sprinkle in the details like oregano, and get the hell out of the way. The story doesn't tell you whether to laugh or cry. It truly leaves that decision up to the reader. But you certainly feel something coming out of it.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

what she failed to mention, though, is that those were palin's first cousins.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Re: Possibly the saddest, funniest story you'll ever read about hillbilly Americ

I have no sympathy for this woman and I don't agree with the shots taken at the sheriff.

This woman decided it was a bright idea to put her single-wide on a trailer hauled by a fucking farm tractor for $200. She was warned before she moved it that it was a no-go and went along with it anyway. It was moved without anything cleared out of it ahead of time.

I don't care what her economic situation is or who she's taking care of, that's just flat-out stupid. If anything, the amount of residents under her roof magnifies the stupidity because of all of the lives she stood to fuck up by making such an idiotic choice. Would any of you do that?

Not only that, but I'm familiar with that area and that highway, we're not talking about a four-lane, flat, paved road. We're talking a two-lane in a hilly region with the occasional switchback. This was doomed to failure.

And what happened wasn't the worst case scenario. That single-wide could just as easily fell off the trailer and hit a car/cars on the road itself. This was Darwin Award-winning stupidity that could have been deadly.

I just don't have much room for compassion here. If I did something supremely dumb, liked tried to move my garage by hooking it to a U-Haul trailer on the back of my minivan, I really don't think I should get much sympathy when the inevitable result of that stupidity comes to pass.

As for the sheriff, what the hell was he supposed to do? They tried to bring in another hauler. No dice. They closed the road for several hours to work out a solution, nothing worked.

And according to what I read, the trailer was already destroyed beyond the point of livability anyway because of their initial, failed efforts to move it, wasn't one of the bedrooms crushed beyond recognition? Is the sheriff supposed to leave a federal highway blocked in perpetuity because of the moronic actions of this woman? I don't think so.

He could have shown more tact, but then, this is a guy who ran on a More Dick campaign slogan.

Sorry. I don't think willful stupidity should be rewarded with my sympathy.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Actually, this woman and her trailer seem to be having a better year than Kentucky basketball.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

That great summary made me think of this little lyric...

Well, I was drunk the day my Mom got outta prison.
    And I went to pick her up in the rain.
    But, before I could get to the station in my pickup truck
    She got runned over by a damned old train.

8. If she were from Ashwaubenon, bubbler would be more sympathetic.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

Speak up, I can't hear you over the damn banjo!! ;D

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

At least they'd have bright orange hunting gear and several cases of Point Beer to keep warm.

11. Cadet

Cadet Guest

How very unRepublican of you. Aren't you supposed to give a lecture about bootstraps or something?

Fantastic job by the writer. The details of this story will stick in my head for a while, always the hallmark of a job well done.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Fenian be better. The poor lady lost her home and her life regardless of the circumstances.

Draft saved Draft deleted