1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Possibly the saddest, funniest story you'll ever read about hillbilly America

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double Down, Nov 22, 2008.

1. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

the ending was great. the reporter was obviously inspired by the nuttiness around her:

The family, a mishmash of real kin and unofficially adopted kids, teens and young adults, are crammed into a smaller trailer while Barton tries to sort through it all.

Jim Gaunce, an amiable great-grandfather, watched most of it unfold from his rocker in a sunny living room with windows so spotless birds frequently thud into the glass while trying to fly through.

He's sympathetic to both sides and willing, he said, to be patient as the mess is cleaned up. He worries that the insulation might blow into nearby farms, get eaten by cattle and do some major internal organ damage, putting a dent in someone's livelihood.

But he knows one thing for sure. "Somebody," he said, sitting calmly as a chain saw roared, "is going to have to clean that thing up."

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

They had that on an episode of Mythbusters once. The bullet did fire, but without any kind of a housing, any damage it did was limited. Verdict? BUSTED.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Fuck that fucking asshole sheriff. No one was breaking the law. No one was dealing drugs. No one was killing each other. I don't care if they were ignorant or not. That woman was doing the best she could, and that asshole fuck sheriff left her crying by the side of the road because he is a mean fucking fuck. HELP PEOPLE, you asshole. HELP them. I don't care if she is a grandma at 35 or that she lived with a dozen people in a trailer that some farm tractor is dragging around the state. I don't care that I didn't read more than 10 paragraphs down that story. That sheriff has power, and he has power to help people, and he chose to be a COMPLETE ASSHOLE for no fucking reason, other than he likes being an asshole.

He could have made this woman the happiest person in the world by doing almost nothing. He could have done NOTHING and it would have helped. But instead he made a poor woman with little help stand there crying because he smashed up everything she has and owned in the world.

He is a MEAN MEAN MEAN MEAN FUCKING MEAN person. He did not do anything he did for any other reason than to be a mean fucking asshole. He did not do it to help other people. He did not do it because anyone was in danger. He did it because he is a MEAN MEAN MEAN MAN!! He is a miserable person whom no one likes.

And that's all I have to say about that.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Re: Possibly the saddest, funniest story you'll ever read about hillbilly Americ

[​IMG]

"Rassa-frassa-rassa-frassa-rassa-frassa ... look at dat durn racket, ma! Someun dumped our gall durn house on the side of that ther road, ma!

Heh, heh, HEH!"

5. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Re: Possibly the saddest, funniest story you'll ever read about hillbilly Americ

TSP ... I just fell in love with you a little. :)

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Watched it unfold from the rocker is what caught my eye...

7. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

TSP: That is probably post-of-the-year material, right there.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Well done.

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I absolutely agree that the sheriff acted like an asshole, but what else could he have done? It sounds like he tried to move the trailer for eight or nine hours and then had to make a tough decision. Sure, he could have kept his fucking mouth shut, but it otherwise sounds like he did what he could.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Kentucky is lousy with mobile home moving services. One call was all that was needed.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

A friend and I once had this long conversation about the definition of comedy. We came up with a definition pseudo-lifted from Tony Randall: Comedy is something bad happening to someone else. The caveat is that it can't be so bad that laughing at it makes you a cruel, heartless bastard. It's why I'll laugh maniacally at someone running to catch a subway, only to have the doors snap shut on his nose, but I am not laughing when I see a blind old man get hit by a bus.

Everyone has a slightly different place where their line between "funny as hell" and "you are a sick bastard if you laugh at that," sits. Some people are totally humorless. Others thrive too easily on peoples' misery.

That story came remarkably close to where I think a normal person's line should be. DD and I often laugh at similar things, and as I was reading that story I was laughing at the details and the sardonic way I thought the reporter wrote it. That story was beyond ridiculous. Then I had this quick moment where I felt really bad for the woman.

The thread title got it pretty right. That was funny and sad. It was exactly at that place that my personal "comedy" line sits.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

my favorite reader comment: "OK, so the mover's tires ended up "flat as a pancake." Her home ended up "flat as a pancake" The movers name is Chris "pancake" Meyers. Ya follow me?"

Draft saved Draft deleted