1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Possibly the saddest, funniest story you'll ever read about hillbilly America

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double Down, Nov 22, 2008.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

This might involve every cliche you can think of about the fine people of Kentucky.

Sorry, IJAG. You know I believe there is much to love about your state, but this shit is hilarious.

http://www.kentucky.com/181/story/597604.html

2. Wow. Just wow.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Re: Possibly the saddest, funniest story you'll ever read about hillbilly Americ

More Dick in 2006!

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I miss living in Kentucky.

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Just to summarize, a 35-year-old grandmother with red and blond highlights, who also manages a trailer park, paid a dude named "Pancake" $200 to move her mobile home with a farm tractor, which she purchased with money she received in an auto accident. When Pancake's tractor broke down and her "house" -- where she lived with 12 people who were all loosely related -- was blocking the highway, a sheriff named Dick, who was reelected after running with a slogan of "More Dick," ordered her trailer be tipped over and destroyed, and her belongings are strewn in someone's yard. Someone who shares the same last name as her boyfriend, but is not related to him. Pancake is nowhere to be found. Sheriff Dick says he should have arrested them all for "being ignorant."

6. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

Re: Possibly the saddest, funniest story you'll ever read about hillbilly Americ

"About 1½ miles into the move, the tires popped off. "

How symbolically fitting.

7. Bubbler

The writer really captured the zeitgeist well. It read like an episode of Hillbilly Bears.

8. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Could only have been more pathetic if they discovered a meth lab.

By the way, Kentucky, this ain't helping either:

... which includes the line "I try not to smile, cause I got my teeth knocked out by a chainsaw."

9. Bubbler

You're right, Killick. It would have been so awesome if the trailer would have blowed up when they tipped it over.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

a.) My mother called me about this yesterday. Apparently Bob and Tom or Tom and Sherry or Bob and Sherry (one of those morning shows) called the sheriff that morning. BTW, his slogan for '10? "Vote Dick Again in 2010!"

b.) Carlisle is a terribly depressed area. I mean, it's not quite Appalachia you see in movies, but I'll just say I'm not surprised by this.

c.) I'm pretty sure that sheriff is "grandstanding" with all the press. Probably not in his best interest in that area to talk about arresting people for "being ignorant."

11. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

That youtube clip reminds me of the Lewis Black bit where he's talking about the Arkansas guys who went frog-gigging and, in their travels, replaced a blown fuse in their truck with a bullet that fired into the driver's balls.

12. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Simply amazing. I really don't know what more can be said about this.

Draft saved Draft deleted