1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Possibly the official French Open Thread...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by nafselon, May 27, 2007.

1. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

...I didn't see another out there.

Without doing research I'm guess Henin and Nadal are the bettors favorites. Henin is strong on clay but I'm interested to see if she's mentally over her marriage breakup. Meanwhile I'd be quite disappointed if we didn't see a Federer-Nadal final.

Anyone willing to take a flyer on anyone else out there? I'll take one on Serena because...who knows what you'll get with Serena. She didn't look like she was at her peak physically and still managed a ridiculously easy beatdown of Sharapova in the Aussie finals.

As for the men I guess you can insert any Spainard, Brazilian or any other South American ranked in the top 200 and they'd got a shot to emerge. Who are the other good red surface players out there?

2. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Federer needs to be able to just make it to the finals.

3. John

John Well-Known Member

I was going to start this thread today, but with the rain I figured it would fade away quickly.

When a healthy and determined Serena is playing, I'll always take her against the field.

Federer reaching the final would be a great accomplishment in itself considering his draw. I'm not counting on it.

If you want detailed analysis, check out SI's Jon Wertheim's seed reports: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/tennis/specials/french_open/2007/

4. John

John Well-Known Member

Oh, and I'll say Roddick goes out in the second round.

5. nafselon

Wow, a whole extra round on clay? At least he's improving...must be those new muscles :).

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Marat Safin also got through, so I'm sure a few people round these parts will be happy.

7. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

If Serena is on top of her game, she can be very dominant on the clay court. Her power cannot be matched. Henin-Hardenne is another player that could be tough and I wouldn't count out Mauresmo just yet. I guess it depends on who is on top of their game and becomes hot in the tournament.

8. nafselon

Let's not drag Mr. Hardenne in this tournament. He's a free man, it's just Justine Henin now :)

9. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

I did not know they are no longer together. What happened?

10. nafselon

I'm guessing nothing different than the usual issues that tear up a marriage. She skipped the Aussie Open to try to repair things but it didn't work. Right now they are separated with the intent of a divorce.

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

At least two of us :D

12. nafselon

Draft saved Draft deleted