1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Possible Torre successor

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PhilaYank36, Oct 9, 2007.

?

If the Yankees decide not to bring Torre back, who would make the best replacement?

1. Joe Girardi

13 vote(s)
    24.5%
  2. Don Mattingly

11 vote(s)
    20.8%
  3. Tony La Russa

4 vote(s)
    7.5%
  4. Mike Hargrove

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Billy Martin's corpse

14 vote(s)
    26.4%
  6. Bobby Valentine

9 vote(s)
    17.0%
  7. Trey Hillman

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I like Mattingly but Girardi will make a much better manager and I doubt any of the players would make a peep about it. Mariano Rivera and Derek Jeter are the only current Yankees who were on the roster when Mattingly retired in '95. Girardi won a few World Series rings with them. Girardi's run-in with Jeff Loria is a non-issue. Presumably, Yankees brass hardly ever sit down by the dugout and shout trash at umpires.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Mookie Wilson.

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Bucky Dent

4. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Joe Torre.

LaRussa will be a disaster in NY. He's used to a city that has one newspaper. NY has seven or eight that travel and about 30 at home games. Good luck, Genius.

5. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

Torre is used to having a team of all-stars, which is why he and the Yankees are made for each other.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Bobby Valentine will be the next manager of the NY Yankees. It's a job he has secretly coveted for a long time. He grew up a Yankee fan.

Move makes perfect sense. He is used to the NY caldron and it will
    allow the Yankees to continue to control the back page of the tabs.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

La Russa would be a disaster. You need someone to take a little pressure off in NYC rather than someone who increases tension every time he walks through a room.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

It's an interesting thought, Boom, but I thought Bobby was loving life in Japan.

Never underestimate the draw of really good sushi. And a shitpot of money.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Bobby is loving life in Japan and runs the whole show there.

But Bobby's ego is ginormous. He doesn't like Joe and he hates little Jeffy Wilpon, so don't underestimate the possibility of Bobby taking the Yankees gig with the hopes of making Joe and the Mets look bad.

I know one thing: I'll be rooting like hell for him if he gets it.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Hey, anybody who puts on Groucho Glasses to return to the dugout and manage after getting tossed is cool with me.

11. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

I still think the Yankees' manager will still be named Joe and be of Italian heritage.

12. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I think the next manager is fucked, no matter who he or she is.

Draft saved Draft deleted