1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Possible Torre successor

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PhilaYank36, Oct 9, 2007.

?

If the Yankees decide not to bring Torre back, who would make the best replacement?

1. Joe Girardi

13 vote(s)
    24.5%
  2. Don Mattingly

11 vote(s)
    20.8%
  3. Tony La Russa

4 vote(s)
    7.5%
  4. Mike Hargrove

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Billy Martin's corpse

14 vote(s)
    26.4%
  6. Bobby Valentine

9 vote(s)
    17.0%
  7. Trey Hillman

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  1. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

They'll have to give A-Rod every building in KC made of limestone, or whatever that tan stuff is, plus the two sphinxes at the WWI Memorial, if they're going to get him to KC.

(They already gave the obelisk to Timmy McClellan for being such a prick in the pine-tar incident.)

2. markvid

markvid Guest

GO SIT IN THE CORNER! RIGHT NOW!

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Davey Johnson.

4. Chef

Chef Active Member

I'm not sure Mattingly wants it.

I thought I saw a piece one time where Don was just content being a bench coach, and didn't want the headache of being the head cheese.

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Yes, but the flames -- ignited by him calling the Post insincere and threatening Tyler Kepner with a fungo bat -- would be glorious. GLORIOUS!

6. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

I'd pay money to see a La Russa/Yankees melt-down in front of the NY media horde.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It was a tough call. There were a few choices I'd love to sick The Boss on (Valentine) others who I knew wouldn't last Girardi, LaRussa, Hargrove. Torre is great because he has never been one to beg for the gig and always seemed ready to take a walk, giving him leverage. There aren't that many like him out there. Leyland's in Detroit and Sweet Lou is in Chicago. Dusty Baker anyone?

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

It's Gerardi or Mattingly and it's a disaster either way.
    Remember the mid-80s Yankees?
    Deja vu all over again!

9. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

And the poll leader thus far is....

Billy Martin's corpse.

Although, technically, I believe it would be Billy Martin's skeleton by now.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I'd be very surprised if it wasn't Girardi because he's clearly the best candidate. The club actually made some strides in developing some young players this season and Girardi could accelerate the process. The front office will need to stay away from the stupid things that always tempt them, like signing Roger and thinking Mussina is anything more than a No. 3 guy anymore. They've got a group of nice young arms. The Yankees will never be a "young" team but they should get as young as they ever get next season and let Girardi have something he can call his own.

11. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Did I see last night that Posada might retire? Why not bring Jorge in?

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Please God, let it be Valentine. I'll bet the NY media is praying it will be Valentine.

For the record, I love the guy. I know he's a nutcase, but he's never ever boring and he's a hell of a manager.

Draft saved Draft deleted