1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Possible Super Bowl emergency

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twoback, Feb 6, 2011.

1. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

If your spouse can't set up an antenna, then directing her to find a live Super Bowl feed -- especially one that could be shut down mid-game -- will be more stress than it's worth. If watching from a bar or someone else's house is an option, I'd recommend it.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Now's a good time to find out how resourceful she is. I'm guessing if my wife were faced with a similar predicament, she'd find a way to watch it. I'm sure your wife can as well.

3. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I'd be patient. The cable company sure as hell doesn't want complaints on Super Bowl Sunday, so unless it's a major crisis it will be fixed. If it doesn't get fixed, are they neighbors or friends around? If that's not the case there are streaming sites out there, but none that I would classify as legal. Also, your wife might run into problems trying to access the streams if she doesn't know what she is doing. There's also the threat of viruses too (right now I'm removing a particularly nasty one...not sure if it came from stream land, but you never know).

4. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Don't bother. Packers won 49-17. Total snoozer. Rodgers threw for 338 yards and five TDs and was named player of the game. It was 14-10 midway through the second quarter when Troy Polamalu sprained his ankle and didn't return. Packers rolled from there. Just watch the highlights of Rodgers' 59-yard flea flicker TD to Greg Jennings and John Kuhn's run up the gut where he stiff-arms James Harrison to turn a minimal gain into a 30-yard score.

They taped it at a sound stage in Southern California on Wednesday. That's what they'll be showing this evening. The "game" in Dallas is just a reenactment using stunt doubles, with the stars showing up on the sidelines and in the post-game interviews. True story.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Ummm, has anyone called the cable company to see what the problem is, when it will be fixed and get your ass in gear to fix it?

6. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Or you could go down to Best Buy and get one of those digital converter boxes. Run ya about $50 and you will get all the local HD Subchannels.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Having already been chided for being a smartass here, I'll try to do better. If you live outside the city where the station is based, getting a digital signal OTA is a lot more of a crapshoot than analog was. Signals don't carry as far, and you either get a clear signal or none at all.

8. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Signal strenght also depends on the geography of the area, i.e. if you live in Eastern Pennsylvania, less likely of getting signal because of the mountains. If you live in the midwest, the signal can travel farther because of less interference.

THe digital converter acts as a sort of modern day rabbit ears. (I'm not an engineer, but that is how I understand it.)

9. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

The digital converter does not act as a sort of modern day rabbit ears. It merely converts the signal for old non-digital tvs.

You will still need an antenna to pull in a signal.

10. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I'm just waiting for the bomb to drop.

(when spnited weighs in on the subject line)

11. bueller

bueller Member

[​IMG]

Assume Fox viewing positions.

12. Journalist21

Journalist21 Member

Pay $200 to watch the game in bone-freezing temps... you don't live in Dallas, do you?

Draft saved Draft deleted