1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Possible positive side effect to the recession? Fewer bowls!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Don't disagree, though Cuse hasn't had the opportunity to choose to stay at home in front of the TV, for a while.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Where in that story does it say that the Music City Bowl is going out of business?

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Let the Pizza Bowl go next..

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Where in my post did I say that it did?

5. markvid

markvid Guest

The article, to me, is pointless.
    You may have a drop in the money coming in to a city, yes, but you still ARE putting money in.

Until they lose money, they'll stick around.
    And, oh, as long as ESPN/ABC, Fox, and the NFL Network give them rights fees, well, they'll stick around.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

BC's travel fanbase would get it laughed out of the SoCon. If any big bowl ever goes under, it will be the Orange Bowl if they ever have to pair the Eagles against a MWC or WAC team.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

A MWC or WAC team would travel tens of thousands to the Orange Bowl. There have been tons of western fans at the two Fiesta Bowls and the Sugar Bowl that MWC/WAC teams played in.

And seeing as how I enjoy watching college football, I see no advantage to fewer bowl games, especially since the filler programing would be poker or more NBA, which already bores me (maybe not you) to absolute tears.

And even a bowl that no one cares about except the participating schools is something of a reward to the players.

Funny how we bash on the NCAA for being anti-student-athlete and criticize its fabricated creed of amateurism, but then rip on the bowls, which actually compensate the players to a degree for their services with the swag bags each receive.

I've covered teams from Microville PI & SU that have played in a BCS bowl, and in a very low-tier bowl, and at every level in-between. Virtually all of them enjoyed the experience, no matter the venue.

Draft saved Draft deleted