1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Possible opening in Huntsville (Ala.)?

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Pencil Dick, Oct 4, 2007.

1. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

this is a really good gig for the right guy. I think job will be a little of both -- desk and planning. Good staff of pros who probably don't need a ton of direction. It's an ambitious section, too. They do a lot of good work. they and mobile are easily the top two sections in the state for overall sports.

2. turnovers

turnovers Member

Space camp was awesome when I was eight.

3. By the way, Melinda has reportedly stepped down this week as editor, plagued by chronic fatigue syndrome. The publisher, a longtime newsman, will assume dual roles.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Never wanna see someone forced out due to illness, but good riddance. The way she threw the sports department under the bus was pathetic.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Really? Did she not write the column at the insistence of said longtime newsman/publisher? I was under the impression Bob Ludwig pushed Gorham to throw the Auburn writer under the bus...

6. None of this would've happened if we had a playoff system ...

7. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

I'm looking into this chronic fatigue syndrome. I'm tired too. do I qualify for disability?

8. John

John Well-Known Member

Lazy and tired are two different things.

9. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

Lazy would be leaving one job for another where you are done most days by 8 p.m. and never have to deal with preps.
    tired would be in the office for long stretches dealing with preps and crazed readers.
    I'm tired

10. That may be true, but at a certain point you have to stand for principle. Are you an editor or a lackey? If you're a lackey, that's fine, just don't expect to be respected as an editor.

11. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

You don't want it. Read the preface to the book "Seabiscuit;" The author somehow wrote the book while dealing with the effects of CFS.

12. chazp

chazp Active Member

Don't listen to John. You're not lazy. You do a great job. Don't forget it. You the man!

Draft saved Draft deleted