1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Possible opening in Huntsville (Ala.)?

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Pencil Dick, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Heard through the Pencil Dick Pipeline today that The Huntsville Times is in the market for an Assistant Sports Editor.

I was told the previous guy in that position has moved on to the AJC and that two solid candidates have already turned down offers. One of those is an effin' stud if the names I heard are cq; never heard of the other person.

Anyone have any more info available? Other than it's in the heart of SEC country?

2. Rhouston

Rhouston Member

It's Rocket City! Space camp is there!

All I can tell you pertaining to the job is they have a Div. II college (University of Alabama-Huntsville).

3. OtterGrad

OtterGrad Member

Anyone know if this is more for a designer/copy editor, or more for someone whose forte is planning?

They have a Double-A team and Huntsville is about 2 hours south of Nashville.

4. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke Member

they also have a D-1 school, Alabama A&M

5. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Did said former ASE get the AJC Colleges Editor job, Rockbottom wonders aloud?

rb

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

That colleges job has been turned down twice - don't know how recently and don't know where it stands now. AJC was also looking for a copy editor.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Good man I know from Huntsville. His dad was a fine man, too.

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I will say this: Damned few openings ever crop up there and they rarely seem to advertise. It's apparently a really good place to work. Several guys I knew in Decatur (Ala.) eventually transitioned over there and were doing good things.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

What, no tales of pins in Melinda Gorham voodoo dolls?

10. boots

boots New Member

I though Melina was good people wick. What do you know?

11. I forget the details, but about three years ago, she sold out one of her reporters who dared not to vote for the home team on his AP ballot. Wrote a front-page column criticizing him.

Someone else can fill in the details, but that's the gist of it.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

What he said, boots. Auburn fans were livid about the fact that he didn't vote War Eagle No. 1 in the AP poll, and she threw him under the bus.

She actually wrote a column apologizing for his vote, if memory serves me correctly.

Draft saved Draft deleted