1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Possible opening at The Santa Fe New Mexican

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by jbarron, Jul 16, 2007.

1. jbarron

jbarron New Member

We recently had a reporter leave our five-person staff, and we hope the powers that be will allow us to fill the opening. It is an entry level, prep sports position at a 26,000 circulation paper. Those interested send a résumé and a cover letter to sports editor Tommy Trujillo at 1368 Cerrillos Rd., Santa Fe N.M., 87505.

2. wannabeu

wannabeu Member

Who's leaving? My grandparents live in Santa Fe and I always enjoyed visiting that area. Nice area and I always thought THe New Mexican was a pretty good small paper, from what I read. How much would it pay?

3. jbarron

jbarron New Member

Priscilla Gomez left; in fact, her last day was Friday. We're going to miss her. As for pay, I imagine it would be in the low 30s. Now, everything is in the hands of our ME, or God if all elses fails.

4. wannabeu

wannabeu Member

I know her. Where is she going?

5. jbarron

jbarron New Member

Well, she is off to be with her boyfriend, chasing her dreams.

6. wannabeu

wannabeu Member

Is she going to continue to write? I always enjoyed reading her stuff when I was in Santa Fe.

7. jbarron

jbarron New Member

I'm sure she will, wherever she ends up - which I believe will be in the Bay area by the end of the year. She just wants to give her relationship a shot, and she believes she'll get back into writing.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Great town with an art scene to get lost in for days; plus, you'll probably get lost trying to drive out of the city.

Tempting.

9. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

You hope the powers that be will allow you to fill the opening? Wow, that's a ringing endorsement.

Otherwise, I'd work for Tommy.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

But would you be able to afford housing there?

11. John

John Well-Known Member

There's a KOA campground right outside town that I've used several times. You could live there in the warmer months.

12. jbarron

jbarron New Member

Given how things have been around the country, it is what it is. Hell, the Albuquerque papers are under a hiring freeze and both could use another hand or two.
    If we do get the OK, we'll fill it quickly. Just know that.

Draft saved Draft deleted