1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Possible job move -- asking for advice.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Doctor Jones, Jul 13, 2007.

1. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

The nice thing is that since he didn't apply for the job at the old paper, he really hasn't done anything to piss off the current employer. By letting them know that somebody approached him with an offer (for more money), he can do no worse than benefit from some good will just by turning down the offer and staying put. I wouldn't squeeze the current employer because you are right, you might be forced to leave, but there is some benefit to be made from this (even if it is just your current employer knowing that you are in demand and turned down more money to stay.)

If the current employer is a good one, then you'll see something change soon after turning the job down. It might be something simple like a bad assignment goes to somebody but you are you get an assignment that somebody else would have gotten.

2. $2,000 more a year is a very very small jump for changing jobs. I won't move for less than a $4,000 increase unless the paper I'm at is uninhabitable.

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

$2000 per year is less than $40 extra each week. Not really worth it.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you wiley bastard. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted