1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Possible GOP vice presidents

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by deskslave, Jan 29, 2008.

1. pallister

pallister Guest

A McCain-Lieberman ticket wouldn't work. McCain needs to get someone that can win votes in the South. Lieberman is off the radar in most southern states.

2. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

Martinez can't be VP. He was born in Cuba. Whitman would have the right jumping ship like crazy.

Charlie Crist is McCain's safest bet for VP. Very popular in a large, diverse state. Or, if he wants to sew up the right, either Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour or Georgia Gov. Sonny Perdue (Barbour would be the better choice, as Perdue's southernisms probably won't translate nationwide).

That said, McCain's chances of beating Obama are less than 10 percent. Clinton? If McCain picks the right VP candidate, maybe 40 percent.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Jeb would play well in the South -- and almost certainly deliver Florida to McCain.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

There is no way on Earth McCain selects Lieberman. Lieberman does very little to attract Democrats or independents, and he does plenty to drive away the right. It's a foolish choice.

I'd bet that if McCain gets the nomination his running mate is someone who didn't run for president. I don't know who, but I just don't see his VP in this group.

5. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I was going to put the Condi idea in blue type

6. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

Trot out Norman Schwartzkopf!!!!

7. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

Now that's an idea .... how old is he again?

8. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

I'm guessing 75. I forgot to use the blue font, didn't I?

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

If Jeb were attractive, he'd be at the top of a ticket. But the last thing ANYONE wants is another Bush anywhere near a national office.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Pallister, you know I love you. You know it.

But saying shit like this is just dumb.

Joe Lieberman is not, in fact, a Democrat.

He lost his primary and ran as an Independent. So that's what he is.

11. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

But is he a democrat?

12. pallister

pallister Guest

Not arguing his current political affiliation, Zeke. I just know Fenian's take on ol' Joe and his likely response to the "Liberman is a Democrat" argument in regards to a possible "bipartisan" ticket with McCain. Hell, McCain and Lieberman are basically the same person, exept McCain didn't sell his soul to run as VP.

BTW, when you and yours join me and the rest of the White Sox fans in the AL Central cellar this year, be sure to bring some refreshments.

Draft saved Draft deleted