1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Possible Democratic VP candidates

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EStreetJoe, Feb 8, 2008.

1. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Re: Possible Democrat VP candidates

Let's clarify a few things about my beloved Indiana:

* Lee Hamilton's not going to be a VP pick. Most of the people here like him, but he's damned near 77, and he's not a sexy choice. He's a cabinet guy in a Democratic administration.
    * No Democrat VP pick is going to get this state to go blue. Shit, I don't think we've gone blue since Kennedy. I think we even went against FDR in 1940. Evan Bayh's not going to change that.
    * We've only got 11 electoral votes anyway, so who gives a shit?

2. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

If Obama wins the nomination, it's got to be Richardson.

Richardson offers a ton of foreign policy and diplomacy experience, an area where Obama is weakest. You also can't ignore the electoral map, and Richardson offers an entry to the West, where McCain will probably be strong. Hillary has crushed Obama in the Hispanic vote so far, so he's obviously weak there. You'd think Richardson would be a big help in that community.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

If Richardson even had a prayer of being on the short list, don't you think he would have endorsed before his state voted? I mean, it's no secret he wants the job. He floated his own name the last time. His state was very close. His endorsement probably could have swung it either way -- not that it would have mattered, delegate-wise.

And Obama is not necessarily "weak" in the hispanic vote, especially not in the general. He has lost the Hispanic vote to HRC in Democratic primaries in some states and split them in others (like Arizona and New Mexico). This really isn't a concern in the general. By the time the GOP gets done declaring war on brown people like it declared war on teh gays the last time around, very few Hispanic voters will go with McCain. Whoever wins the Democratic nomination will do very well with Hispanic voters.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

The thing that struck me about Richardson before he quit the race is that he's a really bad campaigner. He has the experience and the credentials but I don't think he conveyed that very well. I was expecting much more from him than I got.

He doesn't help in the west at all. Yeah, he'd help in New Mexico, but he's not doing a thing in Arizona against McCain and California doesn't consider New Mexico part of the west.

And Zeke, I'm not sure you can count on Republicans to demonize Hispanics now that McCain's virtually guaranteed the nomination. He's not going to do it. He hasn't backed off his immigration plan that includes a pathway to citizenship, except to stress that the borders would be secured first. I think that will play pretty well with Hispanics, who generally seem to be both upset with the flow of illegal immigrants and upset with the way they've been portrayed as public enemy number one.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Agree with almost all of that, PC.

And I think the GOP has already ruined its chances with a ton of Hispanic voters. Perhaps McCain can bring some back, but I wouldn't be banking on it if I were the GOP, and I certainly wouldn't be worried about that demographic if I thought I'd be the Democratic nominee.

I'd be worried about white men, to be honest.

That's where McCain would have to win it.

6. PCLoadLetter

I agree.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Well, shit.

Now what do we do?

8. PCLoadLetter

I could suggest Lieberman on the ticket. That might certainly pull someone else into the discussion.

;D

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Nah, that wouldn't be good.

Foosball?

10. Giggity

Giggity Member

Gore.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The Dems picked up a few swing districts in the state during the mid-terms, and if the Dems did take that state, there aren't a lot of places the GOP is going to make up for those votes after taking WV, Florida and Ohio last time around.
    I liked Bayh and think he or Wesley Clark would make an acceptable veep, but isn't Indiana's governor a Goper?

12. dragonfly

dragonfly Member

From what I understand, Hillary and Gore really don't like each other, even though he'd be a fantastic choice for her since he's so well respected in the liberal wing of the party, and would lessen the blow from Obama losing.

Remember, Hillary is actually very moderate. If she gets the nomination, she has four options. 1. Another moderate to go head to head with McCain in the center. 2. A liberal to cushion the disappointment over Obama going down and shore up the MoveOn.org people. 3. An African American. She's love Obama, but I don't think he'll do it. So, what about someone like Harold Ford Jr. If she gets the nomination, she's going to have problems with African Americans, who will be bitter that she defeated their best chance to ever capture the presidency. 4. Someone affable, but not too charismatic, from a geographically important state, like Ohio, Florida or Missouri.

Obama, right now, is positioned left of Hillary. And politically, that's where he registers too. He will appear very liberal next to McCain. So he needs to choose a moderate, because McCain will grab the center very easily if Obama chooses another liberal.
    Claire McCaskill is an interesting choice. She's light on experience, but Missouri is a key state and she's a moderate and very popular there. If not, a lot of people would love Edwards to take gig. They'd be an amazing ticket. But I don't know if he'd accept. He's already said he won't. And I think he'd really rather be AG.

Draft saved Draft deleted