1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Possible Democratic VP candidates

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EStreetJoe, Feb 8, 2008.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Re: Possible Democrat VP candidates

I think the list has to begin and end with Richardson regardless of who gets the nomination. If its Hillary, he has ties to the Clintons and wouldn't mind getting bigfooted by Bill on stuff. If its Obama, its a clear nod to the Clinton camp and gives Obama foreign policy pull, plus Latino-cred in a possible swing state right next door to McCain's home-state. As great as Webb and Kaine are, I dont' think the Dems would want to lose leaders in Virginia while they are still building there. Especially if they want to get a fillibuster-proof majority in the Senate. Warner was rumored for a possible run but one of the reasons he didn't was he was involved in the back-dating of stock options a couple years back.

2. Re: Possible Democrat VP candidates

If Obama gets the nomination, picks Richardson as his running mate and then gets Edwards as AG, then I am going to get some cake and ice cream because its my fucking birthday every day for the next eight years.

3. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

It doesn't matter what some poll says. Clinton kills Obama's crossover appeal and takes a sledgehammer to his whole change message. It makes zero sense for him. The Democrats who vote for Clinton will vote for almost any Democrat.

Now, Clinton taking Obama as VP makes a lot of sense.

4. RagingCanuck

RagingCanuck Guest

I kind of like the idea of Evan Bayh, but there's the proximity factor in play there as well.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

One dark horse if Obama gets the nomination: Arizona Governor Janet Napolitano, who was apparently on Kerry's short list four years ago. She's extremely popular in a heavily Republican state. She endorsed Obama early on, even though her biggest career break was being named US Attorney by Bill Clinton.

And I agree completely with Michael - Hillary would be a really bad choice for VP for exactly the reasons he mentioned, not that she would take it anyway.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Dan, this isn't aimed at you, but rather at the community at large:

It.Ain't.Gonna.Be.Richardson.

For either of them.

And while I'm at it, It ain't going to be Clinton/Obama or Obama/Clinton.

If Obama wins, he wouldn't offer it, nor would she accept it. Non-starter.

If Clinton wins, she'll probably have to offer it publicly, in an attempt to appease some voters, but he will decline. For myriad reasons. But here's the only one that matters:

He truly thinks she'll lose. And you can disagree -- though I don't -- but I'd bet my bottom dollar that he wants nothing to do with being on a ticket with her against McCain. He thinks she'll lose.

7. Re: Possible Democrat VP candidates

Why not? I'd like a little more than: "That's what my people tell me."

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I've said this before, but evidently it doesn't sink in. If either one were to refuse the VP spot, and THEN the Democrats lost, the person who declined would be finished as a candidate for the presidency forever. Either they would have earned the enmity of millions of African American voters or of women voters for having put selfish spite above the party's interests. Either way, they'd be radioactive. On the ticket, and it loses, you are the immediate party leader and it was the party's fault for not making you number one.
    At the end of the day, all politicians of whatever ideology or personality have a tendency to opt for the choice with the least risk.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

How'd that work out for Al Gore? John Edwards?

Sorry, Mike, but that dog won't hunt. I cannot think of a single person I know who would hold it against Obama if he turned down the VP slot.

If HRC wins, Obama sits this one out and comes back against either an ancient McCain or a Batshit Huckabee next time.

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I strongly doubt Clinton would be Obama's No. 2. She's too old. She won't have an opportunity to be president in 2016, IMO, and would be better served being in the Senate, quite possibly as majority leader some day.

I think Obama would be well-served to be VP on Clinton's ticket, but it's entirely possible he wouldn't do it.

Without looking up the exact numbers, I believe there are 35 Senate seats up in this election, 23 of which are currently held by Republicans, including several who are retiring and therefore creating open races. I may be off a little bit, but it's something like that. I really don't think the majority's in any doubt.

As for actual candidates, there's probably a lot. Sebelius, maybe, but she doesn't seem to have a ton of experience. Jim Webb's probably a good one for Obama.

Would love to see Clinton take someone from the change side, even if it's not Obama. Probably wouldn't happen, though.

As someone else said, I don't think the Democratic base is any concern for either of them. Even the Obama folks will come around to Hillary if they have to. They might not be nuts about it, but they'll do it. So they've gotta figure out who might bring around some of those moderates who might otherwise lean to McCain.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I forgot to mention one other risk for the candidate who turns down the VP slot. The ticket wins anyway, and you are a back number, with at least eight years to go before you can run, and maybe 12. If HRC thinks this is her only shot, and at her age she might, well VP, Senator, it's all one.

12. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

I know what you were doing, I actually meant that to be in the blue sarcasm font. Fen just doesn't like it when people don't use that ic at certain points. So I was guessing that's what he was pointing out.

Draft saved Draft deleted