1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Possible Democratic VP candidates

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EStreetJoe, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Re: Possible Democrat VP candidates

Actually, it's the Democratic Party.

http://www.democrats.org/

2. Re: Possible Democrat VP candidates

The party name is the Democratic Party. See below:
    http://www.democrats.org/
    "Democrat" is a noun, not an adjective. And "Democrat Party" os a term of art invented by conservative activists and now used as a kind of taunt.
    And zeke, you know that's not Kathleen's real nom de guerre.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Now that the fine folks in Kansas are FU+RTG to the tune of 74 percent, it would be crude to continue to use regional aphorisms.

Clearly, the good looks of these brilliant and hardy denizens of America's heartland are only matched by their exceedingly good taste in presidential primary candidates.

4. Re: Possible Democrat VP candidates

Obama-Webb wins running away.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think Obama-anybody wins running away... All he has to do now is win the nomination...

6. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

For Obama, I think someone who puts a state in play that might not otherwise be, or tips one that is close, and who is strong on foreign policy would fit the bill.

Lee Hamilton, Bill Richardson and Jim Webb are all people who could do both of those things -- although Hamilton may not be able to put Indiana in play.

I really like Jim Webb, but would be surprised to see the Dems mess with the delicate balance in the Senate. I believe Gov. Kaine would be allowed to appoint someone temporarily -- until a special election could be held -- so that would at least temporarily maintain the seat in Democratic hands.

Richardson would also shore up that missing executive experience end of things.

Hamilton would provide a lot of strength on foreign policy and could be a good one-term VP (assuming Obama were to win) to be replaced on an 2012 ticket with someone younger. He's old as dirt.

7. Re: Possible Democrat VP candidates

Richardson seems to be tailor-made to be a VP nominee. As was pointed out earlier, he may be delaying an endorsement is avoid betting on the wrong horse and blowing his chances.

Should Obama win the nomination, I also like Sebelius, although it would leave them somewhat thin on foreign policy experience.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Obama and Kaine are pretty tight but Kaine doesn't bring the national name Webb does.
    Kaine is a sharp dude, though. Look out for him down the road.

Obama and Clinton are speaking at our joint tomorrow. Man I'd love to be there.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

In the Time magazine poll, 62 percent of Democrats said they wanted Clinton to pick Obama as VP. Inanely, the question wasn't asked the other way around, but I'd have to assume it's a similar percentage.
    The two candidates are dead tied for popularity in their party, and they're both incredibly popular with different sections of the electorate. Whatever they feel about each other, their ticket makes too much electoral sense to be ignored. Also, since McCain is the only non-ridiculous candidate the Republicans could have chosen, they need every vote they can get.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

He's 106 years old, so he's a little ridiculous.

11. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

Mark Warner or Jim Webb for me.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

"Democrat Party" dates back to the Reagan days and probably before.

Used as a pejorative by GOPers who say "there is nothing Democratic about it."

Draft saved Draft deleted