1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Possible Democratic VP candidates

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EStreetJoe, Feb 8, 2008.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Since there's a thread dedicated to the GOP possibilities, I figured I'd start one for the Dems.
    The questions are:
    Would Barack or Hillary put the Dems Senate majority at risk by picking another Senator to be the VP on the ticket?
    Or would they take someone from the House, where the majority is more solid?
    Would they take a governor? A former Bill Cinton cabinet member? Or go outside the political arena completely (military, business, etc.)?

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Re: Possible Democrat VP candidates

Obama-Webb or Obama-Bredesen.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Barring calamity, the Demo Senate majority will expend markedly this November, even if one or two sitting members suddenly disappear.

4. EStreetJoe

Off the top of my head, I'm not sure how many Senate seats are up for election this November, and which party currently holds the seat. So I don't know if it will expand markedly, slightly, or at all. Depends if the voters are pissed at the Democratically controlled Congress for not standing up to Bush, depends on where those seats are (traditional Republican strongholds or not), and a bunch of other factors.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Bredesen's a good demographic fit, but he's no spring chicken, and he's another Southern governer with a foreign-policy background you could fit into a thimble.

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I think Jim Webb would be an even better choice. Former Secretary of the Navy, under Reagan!, a comer. Respected on both sides of the aisle. And from Virginia, which gives him more regional balance.

7. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I'm guessing a current or former governor. Some executive experience would help balance the lack thereof in the top spot, particularly in Obama's case. Richardson's probably guessing that too, which is why he's keeping his endorsement cards close to his chest.

Frankly, I don't see Obama wanting to be Hillary's number 2 (or in reality, number 3), and I don't think she'd bring anything to Obama's ticket.

Another choice might be Wesley Clark.

8. EStreetJoe

How about going to a former senator for a running mate...how do these tickets look?
    Barak Obama - Sam Nunn
    Barak Obama - Bob Kerrey

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

You look at the seats that are up, and there are clearly more vulnerable GOPers.

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

No. And Hell No.

And it's Barack.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Would love Webb, just to bust W's balls. But I want a strategically-precise choice, not a momentary emotional jolt.

12. EStreetJoe

damn typos.. I know its Barack.
    I voted for Bob Kerrey in the '88 primary when he ran (he had dropped out by the time I voted, but his name was still on the ballot)
    I think Sam Nunn would make for an interesting choice. A southern moderate with a ton of foreign policy experience would provide perfect balance to the ticket.

Webb could make for a great choice as you pointed out.
    Bredesen I'm not so sure about.

Draft saved Draft deleted