1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Possible cause for the Bridge Collapse?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rosie, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

WCCO is reporting that while the NTSB is not yet giving a cause for the 35W Bridge Collapse, the bridge's gusset plates are getting some serious looks.

Sources: Collapse Evidence Points To Gusset Plates

2. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Why does it take a collapse for the gussett plates to be looked at? Shouldn't that be on a list of things to routinely check to make sure they're in good shape? Amazing.

3. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

Pigeons. Rats with wings, Satan's minions.

It's pigeon poop that pared down the Appalachians.

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

No Islamic terrorists or illegal immigrants? Isn't everything their fault these days?

5. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Either them or President Bush.

6. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

K, kids, keep the political bullshit OFF THIS THREAD!

I know this is old news to most of you, but we here in MN are still living with the aftermath of this disaster.

You want to get political? Find another thread to do it.

[/going to find more coffee]

7. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Just curious, Rosie: How much work have they done on the new bridge? I know everyone was pushing to get this done as quickly as possible, I'm just curious how far they've gotten.

8. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Work has started, the target finish date is December 2008. I'm pretty sure they're still on the ground work stage. I grew up in the construction industry and personally, I think it will be a miracle of biblical proportions if it's completed by then. Rather than having completed plans, the bridge is being designed as it's built.

According to today's report, undersized gussets were a 'critical factor' in the collapse.

NTSB Identifies I-35W Bridge Design Flaw

I-35W bridge's problems date to its design

Sixteen gussets were fractured.

In a related story, the Hastings bridge (for those of you unfamiliar with the Twin Cities, Hastings is south of the Twin Cities, but with urban sprawl, could be considered an outer suburb at this point) is being called unsafe and some are calling for its replacement.

State releases summary of Hastings bridge inspection report; DFLers call for replacement

Last time I drove across the Hastings bridge was about seven years ago and it was scary then.

From the story:
    The 11-day inspection by the Pennsylvania-based Michael Baker Corporation questioned whether the bridge can really sustain the 40 tons it's posted for. The inspection took place August 20 to August 31, but its summary was not made public until this week.

Things are just going to get worse for MnDOT before this is over.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Plus the recommended gusset size was 1-inch thick and they were a half-inch

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

What did they say about the Mendota Heights bridge out by the airport? That's a long-ass span.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Even scarier when you're all alone at night and see a deer in the middle of it (1990)

12. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Seems to me the Mendota Bridge just underwent a major overhaul a few years back. But don't quote me on that, I'd have to check into that.

The Lafayette Bridge however, is also in dire need of repair. When I worked in West St. Paul I drove that and I was convinced it was going to collapse any second. And that was almost 20 years ago.

Draft saved Draft deleted