1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Posnanski to SI?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BartonK, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I do give him that. He can crank out passionate, readable copy, at length, on tight deadlines in ways that amaze me. Some of his other antics, not so much.

2. BartonK

BartonK Active Member

Posnanski announced it on his blog this morning:
    His blog will be reprinted by SI.com, and he will do a special column for SI.com every Wednesday. He'll keep writing for the KC Star. Doesn't appear that any of his work will appear in the magazine itself.
    Go here, then scroll down to the end: http://joeposnanski.com/JoeBlog/2008/08/19/ben-folds-and-the-big-blog-news/

3. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Reading that, it's completely impossible to not be happy for the guy. A great writer who knows how good he has it. Good for him.

4. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

BartonK broke this story ...

Though I'm sure ESPN will rush in to "confirm" any minute now. ;)

5. Aurelio

Aurelio Member

He's an interesting case. He clearly has a pretty hefty ego, yet he doesn't want to do radio. Odd combination.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've actually never gotten any indication that he has any kind of ego. I think he knows he's good, but he has always struck me as being pretty humble.

Of course, when the other columnist is Whitlock, anybody looks humble by comparison. :D

7. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

If Posnanski had an ego, he likely would have taken any of these "top jobs" long ago. I don't know for sure, but I'd be willing to bet that ESPN, SI, Fox, Yahoo!, etc., have come knocking on his door several times.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Ego? Hmm, interesting question. I think he knows he's good -- of course he does -- but I also think he's content with his life where he's at. Why leave K.C.? That's where his family is, that's where he wants to be.

Is he going to be a better writer if he took a "top job"? Not really. Is he going to have more prestige? Well, considering he's widely considered the best columnist in America ... I'll go with no. Make more money? Perhaps, but maybe he's doing well enough to live the life he wants, and isn't that the point anyway?

So yeah, I think he's got an ego. But it doesn't make it "odd" that he's not jumping at some big-name gig in New York or L.A.

9. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Joe is younger than I thought he was.

10. didntdoit19

didntdoit19 Member

Honestly, I don't know if his style would work in L.A. or New York. He seems to be a perfect fit for the Midwest. I'm interested to see how he will be received by a more national audience.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

How old is he?

12. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

About 41 years old, if I understood the chronology of that blog post correctly.

Draft saved Draft deleted