1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Posnanski to SI?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BartonK, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Right... So he's irrelevant. Goddamn you're a fucking moron.

I haven't been a fan of Reilly's work in a few years.

But for about a decade, he was the best sportswriter working. If you don't like him, fine... But to call the most famous sportswriter in the country irrelevant is just fucking stupid.

Of course this is the same board where someone questioned whether Michael Wilbon was actually a journalist.

2. BartonK

BartonK Active Member

Reilly was pretty embarrassing on PTI last week.

3. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Actually, I thought he did well on Day Two.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

and only one of us has repeatedly been accused of being a star fucker ... gee, i wonder which one of us that is?

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've ripped Reilly a ton of times on this site...

Calling him "irrelevant" just goes to show how fucking stupid you are.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Let's not forget our friendly PM function for two-way chatting, fellas.

7. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

Who is Posnanski?
    Never heard of him.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

SF

9. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I don't know if irrelevant is the right word, but I haven't gone out of my way to read Reilly in maybe 7 years. He used to be a must read.
    Now, he just seems like someone who doesn't really care and is trying to fill space. So, yeah, I could see how some could call him irrelevant.

10. Aurelio

Aurelio Member

Every former great columnist has essentially fallen the same path. Once they become a star -- and Albom and Reilly are the two best examples, but there are others -- the column doesn't matter nearly so much. Maybe it would happen to all of us. But it sure happens to everyone who puts his star power, or perceived star power, ahead of his work. Hell, you can see it happening to guys in the 40,000 to 100,000 category.

11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

This suggests a thread on the star columnists who didn't start/haven't started cheating the day job, either out of reaching-and-being-bored at the pinnacle or focusing their energy on radio/TV gigs.

I think Wilbon held it together for a long, long, long time before cutting back in his column-writing to accommodate his (ahem) stardom. Now, from what I've heard, even he admits he has throttled back some.

12. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Say what you want about him, but Jay Mariotti is one guy who has never let his column play second-fiddle to anything.

You've got to give him that.

Draft saved Draft deleted