1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Posnanski > Phillips

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JackReacher, May 20, 2009.

1. Editude

Editude Active Member

Just because some might hope/expect/wish that he be a once-in-a-generation player, being a top-tier center fielder in mid-career, and paid accordingly, does not mean he is an underachiever. That prove a negative is so silly. He's having a great career that might or might not reach the Hall of Fame. That's it.

2. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Well, that about sums it up.

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I'm not following that one either.

He's 32 years old. He's been active for 10 years prior to this one. How in the hell is this mid-career? Do you really expect him to stick around until he's 40? He's not going to be one of those players who needs to have the uniform torn off him to quit.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

The thing that jumps out about Beltran relative to Grady and the rest of the center fielders is his incremental power. Seven times he's surpassed 100 RBIs. He's a legitimate, switch-hitting No. 3 hitter while playing one of the most demanding defensive positions.

Anyhow, we can debate exactly where Beltran belongs among all-time center fielders forever but I think we can all agree that Steve Phillips is an idiot.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

A perfect fit at ESPN.

6. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Five more things to consider, again via JoPo: http://joeposnanski.com/JoeBlog/2009/05/22/five-things-you-may-not-know/

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Great stuff. Beltran's a future Hall of Famer. Phillips is a miserable idiot on the decline.

8. topsheep

topsheep Member

The mention of Amos Otis is No. 4 wasn't so much funny as much as I don't think I've thought about Amos Otis in 20 years.

Other than that, not a bad little blog item.

Draft saved Draft deleted