1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Posnanski > Phillips

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JackReacher, May 20, 2009.

1. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

As a Mets fan (not sure I should point that out), I don't disagree that he's a great all-around player, and I agree with chili's assessment of his stats since joining the Mets. But the Hall of Fame? We'll see, but I wouldn't bet on that.

2. chilidog75

chilidog75 Member

You're right Deeds. I might have jumped on the Hall of Fame Train a bit prematurely. He still has a ways to go numbers wise. But I do think if he has another four to five very productive years (and in this era, there's no reason to think he wouldn't --- heck he's hitting .365 right now) then he's definitely in the discussion.

3. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Without jumping into the Beltran argument, I would like to note the thread title is akin to "water is wet".

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

OK, which is it going to be: good, solid player or best center fielder in the game?

Nobody can touch him for talent. There is no reason he can't be an extraordinary player.

And did somebody have him fitted for the HOF or did I have too much to drink when I read that last night. Good God.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Best center fielder in the game. By a significant margin. Granderson, Sizemore and Hunter comprise the next tier then maybe guys like Victorino, Wells and Ankiel. Adam Jones could turn into a heck of a player. But it gets increasingly thin after that. Consider all of the teams searching for an answer in center field, including the White Sox and the Yankees.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Off topic slightly, but that rookie CF in Atlanta is damn good, or at least he was when I saw him play in DC earlier this season.

7. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

Doesn't everyone look good against the Nationals? ;D

I think Beltran has a 50-50 chance for the Hall ... better, though, if the Mets win a Series with him.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  8. topsheep

topsheep Member

I think he's a good player. I hesitate to use great even though I can't put my finger on why, because he has great stats. Something about him I just don't embrace. Maybe it's because he didn't take the bat off his shoulder ... I don't know.

Maybe it's because I don't think he's worth 100 and whatever million bucks. Then again, who is?

9. chilidog75

chilidog75 Member

I admitted I might have jumped the gun on that. But it's not as ridiculous as you apparently think it is.

He's in the prime of his career RIGHT NOW. His batting average has gone up every year since 2004.
    If he keeps up his current production for the next four to five years ---- and again, in this era there's no reason to think he wouldn't ----- then he would finish his career with around 400 home runs, 350 stolen bases, 2,400 hits, 10-plus years of 100 RBIs and maybe eight All-Star game appearances.

Plus, he's considered by many to be the best defensive CF in baseball (that should count for something, right?)

There aren't many players in the history of the game that have 350 HRs and 350 SBs.
    He's not a surefire HOFer by any means, but if he keeps producing like this until he's 37 or 38, he will be in the discussion. Don't even see how that's debatable.

10. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I would say the top tier is Beltran & Sizemore, with Granderson a step behind. Hunter doesn't belong in this conversation. Either way, I don't remember anyone complaining about his demeanor in the '06 postseason. Passing him over for Johnson was the worst move the Yankees have made in 15 years (I think, but if I'm right, that's a hell of a statement), and they are still paying for it.

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

He just turned 32 and he's been able to stay relatively injury-free (aside from the Cameron collision a few years ago and a quad injury). He'd have to do a lot of damage over the next five or six years to be in the discussion. As an overall fielder Hunter is comparable, if not better. Sizemore is still a baby. He's not going to get worse.

I'm not going to get back into the way he carries himself, but he at least gave consideration to a career in volleyball before he was persuaded to focus on baseball. Take from that what you will -- I know what I think of that.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Was he waterboarded into signing that contract? Was New York a completely new experience for him?

Draft saved Draft deleted