1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Posnanski makes SI Point After Debut

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Orange Hat Bobcat, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

I know Posnanski has been pounding out stories for Sports Illustrated for about two years now, and I know SI.com gobbled up his blog a while back, and I know his Scorecard essays amount to Point After columns that just happen to be at the front of the book, but ...

Joe Posnanski is on the back page of the new Sports Illustrated.*

His first column is on the Army-Navy game: http://cnnsi.printthis.clickability.com/pt/cpt?action=cpt&title=It's+A+Grand+Old+Game+-+12.20.10+-+SI+Vault&expire=&urlID=442661412&fb=Y&url=http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1179943/index.htm&partnerID=289881

Glad to see him there. I love Phil Taylor on the back page, I like Chris Ballard, but Selena Roberts drives me crazy (just too high-brow for that spot; her voice just doesn't work for me). But Posnanski. Posnanski was made for that page (if he can find a way to consistently keep his thoughts within the frame of about 900 or 950 words, rather than 1,500 or 2,000 or 1,000,000,000,042). Thought he should have been put in the rotation as soon as he moved over last year. Hope he stays in the rotation now.

Regardless, good to see (and read) him there. (And, as a Clevelander, good to see a Clevelander on the back page, too. We cheer for success wherever we can.)

* Although I haven't seen his new mug shot. Did he get new glasses? Is he wearing a tie? Does he look like he's laughing? Serious? Pondering something? Can't wait to see that mug shot.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I would have argued that Posnanski might be a better fit for the old "Air and Space" spot, but I'm thrilled to see his column in SI in any capacity.

3. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

When Reilly left SI for ESPN and Poz was doing some side stuff for SI, I thought it was a matter of time until he was doing Reilly's old column full-time.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Posnanski is too long-winded for Point After, though. Phil Taylor is perfect and consistently produces the best work in that slot. Chris Ballard is better at features, and Selena Roberts is really, really, really (I can't stress this enough) hit or miss. When she has a good opinion, she can write it as well as anyone. She just often seems a little off point.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

That column is just OK. Army-Navy means more, we get it.

6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

And Rushin was back! Without any biographical blurb. Was this a guest spot or is he back? I've missed him more than I thought I would, and his piece while not great was more grounded than he was by the end of his run (more than just good puns & fancy word tricks). I hope to see more of it.

Didn't read the Posnaski piece yet but I think they're starting to realize what they have in him, and getting their money's worth. I wouldn't be surprised if the page is his within a couple of years. Taylor & Ballard are professional (I don't need to restate everything with Roberts), but they rarely wow me.

Draft saved Draft deleted