1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Posnanski at it again

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by EagleMorph, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Tim Crothers also did a good story in SI on Klotz back in 1995 - many of same anecdotes.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1006252/1/index.htm

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

There's another great Simpson's moment where Homer is watching a History Channel commercial for the Luftwaffe.

"Ah, the Luftwaffe, the Washington Generals of the History Channel."

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I love this read, and Joe acknowledges it's long with "Curiously Long Posts". The question, of course, is how many "modern" web readers are going to slog through the whole thing.

I'm not making a judgment. I loved it. I'm also 55 and like good writing, long form...

4. Simmons has done OK for himself with modern readers by writing long.

5. Good piece from him, and I think finally the first time someone has written irrefutable proof of what everyone knows, that Globetrotter games are a farce. Even as someone who hated the Globetrotters (at the one Globetrotters game I went to when I was a kid, I got my mom ticked at me because I didn't yet know the games were a farce and spent the game rooting for the Generals to pull the upset), I enjoyed this piece.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The only reason no one bothers to write that Globetrotters games are a farce is because it's so mind-numbingly obvious.

You won't find too many articles declaring pro wrestling staged, either.

7. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Paging JoePo to write the definitive Brooklyn Brawler or Iron Mike Sharpe piece!

rb

8. No, I know that, but most of the articles about the Generals dance around the issue. Posnanski actually takes it on and exposes it. I like that.

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I liked the Klotz piece, but I loved the one on his personal blog about taking his daughter to Harry Potter World called Katie the Prefect, which was the follow up to his previous Harry Potter post.. As a father of a little girl, it made me cry like Oscar winner.

http://joeposnanski.blogspot.com/2011/01/katie-prefect.html

If Pos were a hitter, he'd be hitting close to .400 over the last 12 months. Or, as he would probably prefer, his OPS would be about 1.300.

10. joe king

joe king Active Member

That's not even close to the first time that's been written. I know I wrote in my piece that the Generals/Reds/Nationals/Shamrocks get to play straight much of the time but have to let the Globies score when they do their schtick. In fact, pretty much every piece I've ever seen on Klotz and/or the Globies' stooge team has that in there somewhere.

BTW, how can you possibly hate the Globetrotters?

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Wow - where do you stand on the Kennedy assassination? Did you find Oliver Stone movie irrefutable proof of conspiracy.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I had a book on the Trotters written in the early '70s that devoted a chapter to Klotz and his team. The book had Klotz saying that they try to win every game, but they know they have to let the Trotters do their routines and score about 10 baskets a game.

Draft saved Draft deleted