1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Portland Trail Blazers beat writer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Fletch_F._Fletch, Aug 16, 2010.

1. This has been up on the APSE site for three days and I didn't see it posted. Considering the last guy just moved on to the Jazz beat at the Salt Lake Tribune, I figured somebody out there would be interested.

The award-winning Sports staff of The Columbian, Southwest Washington's largest newspaper, is seeking a dynamic writer and reporter to cover the Portland Trail Blazers.

We are looking for a writer with at least four years of experience in the Sports department of a daily paper, someone who can produce compelling features, in-depth game stories, intriguing columns, and insightful enterprise pieces from the Blazer beat and beyond. You must possess the ability to communicate clearly, quickly and accurately on deadline, while thriving in a competitive market.

The beat includes coverage of practices and all home games, as well of production of a Blazer-specific blog and additional Web-only material. While the Blazers are the primary focus of the position, the reporter will be expected to produce general-assignment stories ranging from high schools to community sports during the team’s down time.

We offer an excellent compensation package that includes full benefits, 401(k) plan, 22 paid days off annually and a casual family oriented work environment. Interested candidates should send cover letter with salary history, resume and 10 clips to:

The Columbian
    Attn: Denise Sandvig, HR
    PO Box 180
    Vancouver, WA 98660-0180
    or email jobs@columbian.com

2. Kroog City

Kroog City Member

Does anybody know anything about this paper?

3. WoodyWommack

WoodyWommack Member

I do, Nick.

4. Kroog City

Kroog City Member

I thought you might. But then again you know about everything.

5. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

Paper has had a lot of issues in the last few years. Moved into a big beautiful new building, but then filed bankruptcy and had to move back into the old one. It's all been addressed here before.

Point is, it's an NBA job and you have the chance to compete with the Oregonian. It may seem an unenviable task, but Smith set himself apart with unique reporting from what the tremendous Oregonian reporters were putting out there. It got him a great next job after just a year on the beat.

6. Kroog City

Kroog City Member

Really... after a quick click around on the paper's website, it seems to have some nice elements to it... it doesn't look that far off from being really reader-friendly. If the financial problems wouldn't come into play too much, I bet someone could potentially have a pretty good platform to put their stamp on the coverage of the team.

7. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

It's a good paper with good people. The Northwest is a nice place to settle in, and the family-oriented description is accurate.

8. Jason Bourne

Jason Bourne New Member

Anyone know if the sports editor, Greg Jayne, is a good guy? Reporter's editor?

9. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

People I know have said good things, but I haven't gotten the details. Here's my thought: If he will hire you to cover the NBA, he's the kind of guy you want as an editor.

10. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Yes, everything I've heard about Greg has been great...freelanced for them a time or two and almost landed a job up there about 10 years ago. Seems like a good paper in a good spot. You get the chance to go head-to-head with the Oregonian.

11. Jason Bourne

Jason Bourne New Member

Bump.

Any word on this one? (Yes, I know. I'm hired)

12. the_lorax

the_lorax Member

Any bird have a word here?

Draft saved Draft deleted