1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Portland, Maine accuracy form

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BillyT, Mar 11, 2012.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I have a feeling the people who are wont to complain will do so whether there's a complaint form attached to the bottom of the story or not.

The issue you mention, buck, is a much deeper one and part of the reason this spineless business is in the mess it's in.

2. beanpole

beanpole Member

Nothing wrong with collecting the information and feedback. It could be helpful if used constructively (but there's no guarantee of that)

3. "Mr. Nixon, were the articles by Mr. Woodward and Mr. Bernstein: 1) Excellent 2) Very Good 3) Good 4) Fair 5) Poor."

"What kind of follow-up would you like to see? Perhaps we can suggest coverage of your resignation?" ;D

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

"We're sorry for the headline, Mr. Clemens. But other than that, how does your ass feel today?"

5. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Do you think Deep Throat would have filled one out? ;)

6. Baron Scicluna

"I feel the coverage was fair, but your reporter really needs to start finding better parking garages for us to meet."

7. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

Were those parking garages not personable enough?

Seriously though, I don't mind this type of thing if you have a campaign or pop one out there once in a while to see if it works. There are people who wouldn't call in, who aren't regular sources, who may give decent feedback about what they think happened ... and yes, there are going to be the idiots who will always pull the "I was misquoted" garbage.

The trick, here, is what the ME or publisher does with the complaints. If they know which ones to pursue and which ones are sour grapes, then it's alright. If they follow up every complaint with a "the reader/customer is always right" zeal, it's going to just be a giant mess.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I worked for a paper once where every editor was required respond with a written action plan in response to ANY reader complaints -- signed or unsigned -- and how we planned to make it right.

Including, "You Suck Fcuck You."

Notice the unconditional out-of-the-box presumption we had done something wrong which needed correction.

About three months after I started, I got a letter which was some variation on "Fuck You."

I threw it out. The next day I came into work, Mr. Publisher called me into his office. All mail was funnelled through his secretary so he knew I had gotten a complaint letter.

"What do you plan to do about it?" he said.

"Nothing," I said. "I don't have time to worry about anonymous crank letters. If they want to sign it, fine. If not, fuck 'em."

"Make the time," Mr. Publisher said. "Maybe you think I'm not serious about this. I am."

So I went out into the office and typed out a letter which went like this.

"Dear Mr. Anonymous Man:

I am sorry you think I fucking suck. I will try not to suck so fucking much.

Regards,

I.M. Starman."

So I took it in and dropped it on Mr. Publisher's desk (he had already blown the joint for the night). I was called in the next day for not having the "right attitude" about the policy.

9. Baron Scicluna

I've always hated the "What are you planning to do about it?" line.

One time, I made a minor mistake. Boss calls me in the office.

"You made this mistake."

"Yeah, I know, I'm sorry."

"Well what do you plan to do to make sure it doesn't happen again?"

"Nothing."

"Nothing?"

"Exactly. Nothing. How often do I make this mistake?"

"Uhh, well once is too many."

"Nobody's perfect. And if I made this mistake once in three years, I'd have to be doing something right."

"Well, uh ..."

10. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

was the complaint addressed to you? if so, what the hell was the publisher doing reading your mail?

Draft saved Draft deleted