1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Portis on female reporters: "...somebody got to be appealing to her."

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zimbabwe, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

This post and 21 are dead on. Locker rooms are not a turn on for most women. Nor are the 'packages' in them.

I guess Portis also believes surgeons get turned on by looking at body parts on the operating table.

What a complete crock. I'd rather look at one of Starman's fetid whactamacallits than somebody's "package" in a locker room.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm just glad that Mr. Portis is a football player and not an obstetrician.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I don't doubt it, 21, in the vast majority of cases. And you're right about a locker room being about as erotic as an uncleaned gas station bathroom.

Unfortunately, there's a small minority of women reporters (5 percent?) who do look at the men they're covering -- whether it be in the locker room itself, or, off or on the field. A tiny minority (1 percent? Less?) even take it to the next level and sleep with an athlete they're covering. Small sampling of the female profession though it may be, I don't think this is arguable.

Whether that attraction occurs in the locker room itself or not is immaterial, if one, EVEN ONE female reporter gives the idea that she's willing to flirt, or worse, sleep with, an athlete, it gives the impression among the more Neanderthal types on these teams that any one of the other female reporters are thinking the same thing.

Should that indict an entire gender in the profession? Hell no. Like I tried to get across earlier in the thread, the mistake the Portis's of the world make it to take the extreme of the profession and apply it to everyone.

But can it be said that 100 percent of the female reporters aren't doing some checking out, be it in the locker room or in a less volatile area? I don't think that can be said either.

It's an uncomfortable truth, but even if 5 percent of the female reporters are checking players out, or if 1 percent of them actually sleep with one of them, it fucks it up perception-wise for the other 95 percent.

And one can talk all they want about what that says about the players who think the way they do, that's fine. But it doesn't necessarily make it inaccurate. It's just the degree to how accurate they are.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

How come no one ever complains that female sports writers are busy checking out the talent in press boxes?

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Dan Patrick has the 2nd least interesting sports show on radio. I'd rather listen to the audio track of Sabado Gigante.

Any DC ares listeners know the worst sports talk is The John Thompson Show.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Old Husband: Honey, how come you never tell me when you have an orgasm?
    Old Wife: Because Darling, you're never there.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm just gonna go ahead and pretend that vaudeville act is random.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I'll bet a higher percentage of men look than women.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

And probably the same percentage would look back.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

No question about it.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Has nothing to do with being gay.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

True, but am thinking about 10 percent each way would be gay, and that's pretty interesting when you think about it.

Draft saved Draft deleted