1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Portis on female reporters: "...somebody got to be appealing to her."

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zimbabwe, Sep 14, 2010.

1. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

A penis isn't an opinion, it's an extension of one.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I guess Portis hasn't seen Good Naked v. Bad Naked on Seinfeld.

3. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

For about 25 years now, the NFL - - who is Portis' employer - - has a policy that says that male and female members of the media SHALL have equal access to locker rooms.

His remarks are hauntingly reminiscent of the comments by NE Pats' players regarding Lisa Olsen decades ago. The NFL has worked to try to expunge them from memory as it seeks to attract more female fans. Portis' remarks - - ones he can and should have the freedom to express - - come with potential consequences from his employer(s). That is why he is apoligizing even if it is because the NFL and/or the Redskins told him to do it. His statements are inappropriate in 2010 with regard to the way the NFL wishes to be perceived.

4. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Drip

Drip Active Member

I have never had a problem with a female reporter in a locker room. In fact, I personally came to the aide of one who was being verbally attacked by Sam Wyche following a Bengals-Jets game in Cincinnati many moons ago. The problem is when a female reporter - or any reporter for that matter - is dressed inappropriately for the gig. Wearing tight jeans and a a v-cut blouse send the wrong message. And that goes for both sexes.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

A roomful of naked guys and you're worried about what she wears?

It's a work place, and everyone in it deserves the same measure of respect. Doesn't matter if she's in a burka or a miniskirt.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Exactly. Fucking Redskins. Days like that make me wonder why I even root for those assholes.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

Would you wear a three-piece Brooks Brothers suit to cover a hurricane? Hopefully common sense would kick in. There have been times when guys, and gals, working the locker rooms enter dressed inappropriately. It sends the wrong message.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

What message does being naked send?

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

Hey, thanks for checking in. Let me know when you want to have a serious conversation about this issue.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I'm having one.

There are 53 naked guys in an NFL locker room, and you're worried about what one woman might wear?

Or should I say "gal"?

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

On the 'what message' question:

What message does it send when I'm trying to do my work--conservatively, politely--and the naked dude I'm interviewing is doing everything possible to test whether I'm going to 'look'? And believe me, I'm not going to look, but it's an adventure in sociology to watch those 53 (okay maybe 32, some put on towels) watch us to see if we're watching them.

If you're that worried about it, put on the towel. If you don't care, we don't care. It's a penis. Half the world's population has one. Get over it.

And I'm bummed I put my response to Portis on the other thread, because it really should have gone here.

Draft saved Draft deleted