1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Portis on female reporters: "...somebody got to be appealing to her."

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zimbabwe, Sep 14, 2010.

1. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

Clinton Portis sounds off on the Sainz/Jets controversey.

“You put a woman and you give her a choice of 53 athletes, somebody got to be appealing to her,” Portis said. “You know, somebody got to spark her interest, or she’s going to want somebody. I don’t know what kind of woman won’t, if you get to go and look at 53 men’s (bodies). … I know you’re doing a job, but at the same time, the same way I’m going to cut my eye if I see somebody worth talking to, I’m sure they do the same thing.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-femalereporter-portis

Apologies if this is a d_b.

Seems indefensible to me.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Can't blame Portis, he got himself educated at The U

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

God, it must be great to be a Washington-area reporter during football season. "Hmmm, nothing in the notebook today ... what am I going to write ... I know, I'll go hang out by Portis."

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Well, I know of at least one WWL employee who had a thang with Portis, so maybe he speaks from experience.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Great. Now we'll get 5 million columns and commentaries condemning the politically incorrect off-the-cuff remarks of a meathead football player. Then Portis will issue an non-apology apology that is mostly a shot at "the media." He will decline interviews for a few weeks. The Redskins will rally around the fact that the media is "out to get" them and "blowing things out of proportion." Can't wait. Shoot me now.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Why was "packages" subbed for (bodies)?

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

Portis actually told the truth. There's no way some guys can't be attracted to some of the female reporters in the locker room and likewise. It's natural. As long a people act professionally about the situation, it's not a problem.
    And to take it a step further, and I'm not anti-gay, I'm sure there are some gay reporter and gay players that have looked inviting.
    Like it or not, it's the world we are living in.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Is Portis not entitled to his opinion on the topic? Seems like a pretty harmless thing to say.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

You realize this guy has a stripper pole at his house?

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

So what does that have to do with his take on female reporters?

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Perhaps it says something about his views on women, or at least the type of women he prefers. Perhaps not.

He's a goofball. Why should anybody care what he says for any reason other than entertainment value?

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

I'm not jumping on you but it seems you've formulated an opinion about a guy that you probably only know through what you have read or what you have seen him do on a football field or heard him in an interview. You don't know him or the type of women he prefers or his views on women.
    I don't know anything about him except through interviews.
    The point is, he's got the right to an opinion just like you and I.
    It seems that every few years, this women in the locker room stuff come up. It gets old, especially on a slow news day.

Draft saved Draft deleted