1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Porky's" dethroned as Canadian box office champion

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double J, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

Twenty-five years after its release, "Porky's" is no longer the highest-grossing Canadian-made film at the Canadian box office.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&pubid=968163964505&cid=1160560210465&col=968705899037&call_page=TS_News&call_pageid=968332188492&call_pagepath=News/News

The new champion is an English/French buddy cop movie called "Bon Cop, Bad Cop." I haven't seen it and neither have too many other people outside Quebec (90 per cent of the ticket sales are in that province) but its description makes it seem like a "Rush Hour" kind of movie -- two mismatched cops, one English and one French, team up to solve a trans-provincial crime.

Anyway, "Bon Cop, Bad Cop" may well have a short reign. "Trailer Park Boys" debuted last weekend and was the 11th-most popular movie in North America despite not having an American release (yet).

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Porky's was made in Canada? How did they make Canada look like Angel Beach, Florida?

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

I'm not sure it was actually made in Canada, but it was made by Canadian filmmakers with Canadian money.

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Good point, although he probably meant Canadians made it, not filmed in Canada.

At least I hope not.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Bob Clark is Canadian? Who knew.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

No, but Susan Clark was... I think

7. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

It is cheap, sophomoric humor, but the Porky's trilogy has two scenes in which I've rarely laughed harder at a film:

1. In the original, when Miss Balbricker is telling Principal Carter that there needs to be a police-like lineup to find the shower penis, with the coaches laughing in the background.

"That penis had a mole, Mr. Carter. And that mole is the key to it!"

2. The graveyard scene in Porky's II:

"Don't worry, Pee Wee. She probably had a bad heart."

"Yeah, buddy, it could have happened to any one of us."

"Especially you, Meat."

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

And here I thought Strange Brew was the best Canadian movie ever made.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

How can it be the highest grossing movie if only the Frenchies are seeing it.

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Yeah, I wondered that myself.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Because Quebec is part of Canada.

Patrick Huard is one of Quebec's best known actors and Colin Feore is a respected Shakespearean actor (he most recently played Coriolanus at the Stratford Festival). He's best known for his brilliant portrayal of Trudeau in the CBC miniseries of the same name. He was also in Chicago.

Bon cop/Bad Cop got terrific reviews.

Draft saved Draft deleted