1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pork chop?

Discussion in 'Design Discussion' started by RedCanuck, Jan 23, 2008.

1. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

I was talking to someone today who referred to a mug shot or head shot as a "pork chop." Am I the only one who wasn't in on that crazy bit of lingo?

2. never heard of it, but as you very well know, every newsroom has it's own name for certain things. We call our breakout boxes "marginalia". before I got here, I had never heard of that.

3. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

We call a skinny kid at work pork chop. don't know why. or what it means. but he's black, and the other co-workers are black, so I'm guessing it's probably racially motivated.

4. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

It's an old-time phrase ... I haven't heard it in about 20 years, though, when it was used by a gruff compositor in the backshop of my newspaper. (Yes, kids, back before Quark and InDesign.)

I seem to recall seeing it in one of my college textbooks on page design, too.

5. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

We call a janitor at work Pork Chop. The old story goes that he once stole a box of frozen pork chops from the shared freezer.

I also once saw him eat pizza from a discarded box. Shoved it right in.

Draft saved Draft deleted