1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Popular Science ends reader comments

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rusty Shackleford, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I'm in favor of this, for exactly the reasons stated. The internet caters to the mental lowest-common-denominators of humanity's lowest-common-denominators. Ending the BS discussions of scientific stories is fine by me, and I applaud this move:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/popular-science-ends-reader-comments--says-practice-is-bad-for-science-002245622.html

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

But pageviews! Racists buy timeshares too.

Good move. I look forward to the Internet constitutional scholars/scientists explaining why Popular Science is just afraid of real discussion.

3. Glad Poynter chimed in. How is Poynter still relevant these days?

4. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

A counter point:
    http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2013/09/25/popular_science_says_comments_bad_for_science_shuts_them_off_bad_move.html

5. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

Why Slate sucks my taint, by Slate. #slatepitches

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Any article related to space exploration in any way is guaranteed to get moon-landing-conspiracy comments within the first dozen or so posts.

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

The line about "(eroding) the popular consensus on a wide variety of scientifically validated topics." made me uneasy.

There was, for instance, a strong popular consensus in the scientific community for a long time about eugenics. Now, not so much.

Draft saved Draft deleted