1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Popping my football stat-keeping cherry tomorrow...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jay Sherman, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

shit, slappy, you should read our calender ... east bumblefuck at north beach, 7 p.m. friday, or so we're told.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

We had three games like that tonight -- skeded for Friday, played tonight. This includes one from a TV station looking for a score, to which we all went "ummmm, the what now?"

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

we refer to those as bonus coverage.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

and we'd refer to that as "a man said there was a train wreck wednesday in bumblefuck."

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

AP? shit. you guys still have that?

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

for the love of god, don't forget the spokesman.

8. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

You have to track every play. That's crucial because you never know what plays (except for the obvious big ones) are going to make your gamer.

And also, keep a running total. It makes your life so much easier. As Cadet says, you WILL fall behind. The important thing is to track the yardage every play. It all will add up later. And if you're walking the sidelines, here's the best advice ever -- move your ass on punts. But if you miss one, pay attention to where the official throws his bean bag. That's where the returner catches the punt and you still can get the yardage.

Also, someone here asked if anyone had a good stat sheet. I have a great one for play-by-play. If anyone's interested, I can fax them one.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

dude, i think you're going to be a good addition to this board.

10. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

I guess the rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated.

Can't wait to tell colleagues that I've received online compliments from someone who finds frogs' jewels somewhat disturbing. Hehe!

Seriously, who ever would have thought that stat-taking ability actually would be appreciated by someone? Me loves the Information Age.

11. This is my fifth year of covering football and I think that's the best way to keep stats. I wish I learned that five years ago

12. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

Also, I think a key thing to remember is that stat-keeping is a form of shorthand. That means do whatever works best for you. Generally, I think it takes a few years of covering a sport to get completely comfortable with what fits your needs. It takes some trial and error. People don't realize it, but when there's no one there to give you a stat pack after the game, keeping stats at a game is intensive work. A lot of what you track won't see print, but it's necessary.

Draft saved Draft deleted