1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pop Up Blockers

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Jun 30, 2006.

1. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I loves me some Firefox mostly for two reasons:

1.) no popups
    2.) BugMeNot extension

It also has tabbed browsing, but i never use that.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Quality sig.

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Don't be jealous. ;)

4. Moderator1

Oh, I'm not. Trust me on that.

5. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Whenever I need a pop-up blocker, I try to think of this fat guy from high school.

Dan Fielding's pop-up blocker was Ernest Borgnine, I believe.

6. Moderator1

Go to www.flashyourrack.com and that pop-up blocker spins like a slot machine.

I checked it out, all for the sake of research only.

7. DyePack

DyePack New Member

That was interesting.

I decided not to submit my rack, though. I cut out ice cream and burritos this summer, so I don't sport much of a rack these days.

8. Moderator1

Yeah, well, unfortunately until I get my shit together I have a better rack than some of those on display.
    Others, however, beat my ass 10 ways to Sunday.

Purely research of course.

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

If anyone can find a foolproof pop-uo blocker, let me know. The pop-up blockers and anti-spyware programs that seem to work so well for everyone else don't work for me.
    Moral of the story: If somebody out there is determined to fuck up your computer, they will find a way to do it.

10. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I'll add to the Firefox chorus. I hardly get any popups, and since I convinced my wife to use it, we have had next-to-no spyware. Great program. Plus, as ijag pointed out, the BugMeNot extension is awesome. And you get some cool search engine right in the corner of it (Google, eBay, Amazon, Dictionary.com, recipes.com and more), kinda like the Google search window on the Google toolbar. And I love the tabbed browsing, and the bookmark toolbar so you have easy access to the ones you go to the most.

Great stuff.

11. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I run Safari on my Mac. You can turn it on or off by hitting Apple K. I always leave mine off. On rare occasions, I'll have to turn it off for certain sites. I think I've met two sites that did that to me.

I don't stay up on the latest in browsers, but Safari was the fastest around the last time I checked.

12. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I've tried Firefox. It didn't help. I tried Adaware. It didn't help. I've tried a lot of different things and none of them helped. Why?

Draft saved Draft deleted