1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pop Culture References

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HeinekenMan, Aug 12, 2006.

1. jaredk

jaredk Member

First thing Finkel would say is, "It's Kenn, not Ken."

2. couldn't agree more.

what seems clever to you won't seem clever - or even make sense - to a good percentage of your readers.

i despise this crud

3. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

And if you don't, then you don't.

4. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

How is it even possible to do three pages on this topic without mentioning the names Klosterman or Simmons?

5. ballboy

ballboy New Member

HeinekenMan, just curious. How would you have teased the story?

6. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

I don't mind pop culture/current movie type references. It's a judgement call as to whether or how successfully you can pull them off. I try them out in the newsroom. If even two people don't get the reference from the cross section I try, I drop it and go in a different direction.
    I'd fight for the Oliver Stone reference though, especially with World Trade Centre in the theatres now. I might concede movie director Oliver Stone but you wouldn't need parentheses. They're distracting and slow the flow.

7. In a business where space is disappearing I often feel too many writers are concerned about writing for themselves and their buddies and not for readers.

now try this for top two graphs on a recent gamer that appeared in a major paper:

Maturity is not easy. A youth movement doesn't come with a linear growth chart.
    Dissect the statistics, crunch the facts and feed them all into the Jack LaLanne Blender - and good luck drawing a conclusion. The analysis doesn't account for pressure, when breathing becomes difficult, palms sweat and goosebumps surface.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Stephen King and Jay McInerney populate very successful novels with pop culture references.

9. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

There is someone trapped in the 1950s.

10. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Kenn is a very strange dude, and unfortunately his personality sometimes turns people off to his message. But I was exposed to his handouts three years before I met him and seven years before I worked with him, and even those who were predisposed to agreeing with him sometimes wished he'd give it a rest once in a while. But his presentation, copies of which were given to me by another editor, plainly states that his observations were taken from sources such as Bernstein and Zinsser, and as I began reading those people I realized that Finkel was merely a conduit. If you have a problem with Bernstein and Zinsser, too, I shudder to think what your copy looks like.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Go back 22 years and read some of the "Jackson victory tour" references that geniuses all over the country wrote whenever someone they covered named "Jackson" did something good.

Cringe. Cringe. Cringe.

And today's lines --- "So-and-so has become a bigger parasite than Kevin Federline" --- will sound equally stupid 22 years from now, if not 22 months from now.

12. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

OK, so then my question is... who gives a darn what copy from 22 years ago looks like? Or 22 months ago?

Draft saved Draft deleted