1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pop culture overdone?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by micke77, Jan 14, 2009.

1. micke77

micke77 Member

is it just me or what? know it's a trend and i guess interesting to a whole lot of folks, but sometimes i really get tired of the "pop culture" emphasis placed in some media circles.
    couple of weeks ago, Tim Brandon spent seemingly the first five minutes or so of his daily radio show counting down the top 10 blues' tunes (or rock, heavy metal, etc.) of all-time.
    and i am saying, "come on, i wanna hear sports and i wanna hear the latest on what's happening in sports, not a modern-day version of the Hit Parade.
    and Sports Illustrated has their weekly "Pop Culture" feature where they ask an athlete a variety of questions dealing with everything from Britney's latest screwup to who they would invite to dinner.
    and, of course, there's the obligatory "celebrity" Q and A where they ask somebody simply because they're a "name" what they think of the NFL playoffs, whether or not Barry Bonds belongs in the Hall of Fame, etc..
    i don't know, maybe the surveys show that's what so many readers want.

2. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

I don't know. I used to love Kornheiser's radio show years back precisely BECAUSE he talked about stuff other than sports at times. But I guess it has started to spread to the point that you can't listen to just sports anymore. And this stuff you are talking about is ridiculous.

Occasionally I enjoy when they talk to celebrities about sports, but only when it's someone unexpected. Like, NOT Ben Affleck or Kevin James. Example: Today on one of the ESPN shows (probably First Take), they talked to Bret Michaels. I don't care for him much, but he was talking about the Steelers and really acting like he knew what the hell he was talking about, naming old players, etc. I thought it was kind of cool.

3. micke77

micke77 Member

exactly. at first, i could tolerate it and liked the change. but sometimes i am wondering if these folks are doing this kind of stuff to be considered "cool" and trendy.
    kinda along similar lilnes in so far as getting away from sports, when dan patrick was with espn radio, there was one show where he went on and on talking about his son or daughter at a recital. hey, i know he is a proud father. no problem with that. but what in the Sam Hell does that have to do with today's sports topics? Colin Cowherd and some of the other ESPN guys will get off on such subjects.
    and hey, i realize they've got a heckuva lot of time to fill up. that's got to be tough. i understand that. but if i want to get news about the latest songs, fashion or celebrity gossip, i'll tune in Entertainment Tonight or log on to tmz.com.

4. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

I don't mind it too much if it's just a short comment or skit, but if takes up a significant chunk, then it's gone too far. Guess you just have find guys who do what you like and ignore the rest. I rarely listen to sports radio anymore because the local guys are insufferable blowhards and most of the national guys just seem so full of themselves (although I have to admit they get some pretty good guests).

5. micke77

micke77 Member

we've got a couple of pretty good local sports talk guys here and they do their best to present "sane" broadcasts. but some of the guests they get, i have to wonder about their IQ's.
    but yes, you're right. if they keep such "pop culture" or personal revelations fairly short, I can deal with it. it's when they go way overboard and all but forget that they've got a sportscast going that i get put out with it.

Draft saved Draft deleted