1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poorly thought-out press release of the day

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HejiraHenry, Dec 9, 2008.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

From an e-mail I got today:

FIELD SET IN SHREVEPORT FOR
    DOGFIGHT OVER INDEPENDENCE BOWL TITLE

Shreveport-Bossier, La. – In less than three weeks, the Louisiana Tech University Bulldogs and the Northern Illinois University Huskies will embark upon the dogfight of their collegiate histories at the 32nd Independence Bowl in Shreveport.

All I can say is wow.

I have e-mailed the PR firm. inquiring if anybody thought that maybe this was a bad ideer.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Ceremonial coin toss to be conducted by whichever Vick brother is not in jail.

3. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Northern Illinois vs. La. Tech? More like dogshit. What happened to the Indy Bowl's tie-ins with the SEC and Big 12?

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Yes, sending out a press release about the Independence Bowl is offensive.

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Was wondering the same thing. The Weed-Eater Spectacular went from bottom of the bowl barrel, looking up at the California Raisin, to a second-tier bowl with two decent teams (and one weird-ass blizzard), to this crap. SEC was pretty happy with the arrangement, so much that the went from sending their No. 7 to their No. 6 or 5, or something like that. Now, outside the smattering of Tech interest there, why bother?

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Winning coach gets the Mississippi State job.

Losing coach gets two Mississippi State jobs.

(Ancient joke, I know.)

7. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I'm not really all that offended by the term dogfight. It's probably written by a low-level who thought he was being cute turning a phrase. And unless you were planning on running the press release verbatim, what's the big deal?

Now if only the press release should have mentioned something about the governors of Illinois and Louisiana making a bet on the game. Loser has to pay the winner's next bribe.

8. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Winner gets a senate seat?

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

I read some Rivals.com story about the four bowl-eligible teams that didn't make a bowl (all were 6-6).

What the hell? They tried just as hard as the other .500 teams!

10. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

You know what we need? Two more bowls to pit these teams against one another!

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Wasn't there a 7-5 (Arkansas State, maybe) that didn't make it?

12. pallister

pallister Guest

Yep, ASU didn't get an invite. Its fan doesn't travel well.

Draft saved Draft deleted